Zing

Another DC-3 saved

This airplane got mentioned in another thread, but I don't remember which one ... this showed up on the morning news wire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071121/wl_nm/subbedbosnia_plane_france_dc_2

I drove across the Sarajevo airport a couple of times in 1992-3 while covering the war for Jane's, but I'm damned if I remember seeing a C-47. Could be due to being so shit-scared running the gauntlet of Serb and Muslim snipers in a soft-skinned Suzuki 4x4 that plane-spotting was not at the top of my agenda. Had my helmet jammed so tight and my neck pulled so far down into my body armor that about the only thing exposed was my nose. After that came Sniper Alley. It was...exhilarating.
Hoop
PS I suppose what makes it rare is that that the paperwork shows it flew in the two biggest airborne assaults in history.

Sure it rusts!

From Merriam Webster dictionary for rust (noun)

"b: a comparable coating produced on a metal other than iron by corrosion"

and rust (verb)

"1 : to form rust : become oxidized "

The black stuff on aluminum that gets on your hands is aluminum oxide, aluminum rust. It doesn't rust away like iron because the first layer is protective.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't remember seeing ANY rust on any of the DC-3s I flew...they all had a light coat of oil over them. In fact, about half the times I pre-flighted the aircraft, I would end up with the round oil stain on the back of my uniform shirt...from backing into the oil cooler while looking inside the wheel wells. ;>)
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I have a few shirts in my wardrobe with the same DC-3 mark.
I stopped by Elroy a few weeks ago to visit and they were planning a DC-3 load, so I walked out to say hello the airplane, after all its the one I did my type ride in.
True to the nature of DC-3s, old Colonel Joe nailed me with a few drops of oil ... almost got a lump in my throat.
Zing Lurks

Another mark of a DC-3 pilot is hydraulic oil on a pant leg (right or left depending if you were the captain or F.O.) from the windscreen wipers.

Damn, it's been a long time.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling