howardwhite

Herdair

Howard - the demise of The Herd is a great loss to skydiving. Stories of their antics at Z'hills were legion. I don't think any group had more fun than those guys. Remember the Whale lying on a polar bear rug at the '73 Nationals, sucking on a baby's bottle and wearing only a frilly bonnet?
Hoop

I feel like an old fart saying it (well, I probably am an old fart), but kids today who think they invented partying don't know much...

Of course, that can probably be said for each generation :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Howard, you seem to have a skill set for tweaking nostalgia in me.

I attended most Herd Boogies over the years. What a place and what a time! The last one I attended I took my two year old daughter to get her acclimated early to the insanity and joy of the social side of jumping out of airplanes.

I taught about a dozen Herd members to jump and I have great love of their antics. They sure pissed off lots of people over the years... and maimed a few.

The craziest thing I ever saw being done on a DZ was the Herd Electric Star. What a crazy-assed and stupid thing to do. Electric stars are one of the very few things I never tried on a DZ.

The Herd sure knew how to have fun breaking all the rules with my favorite Herd member and good friend, Harvey Soss, often leading the pack. Harv, who died in a motorcycle accident, was one of the finest people I ever knew.

United Parachute Club and The Herd: RIP.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Seeing what females would do for a Herd T-shirt was always entertaining. Don't even want to think what the guys did for that shirt!!!

Two of my ex-girlfriends gained a new T-shirt from the Herd.

Stan Zelnick talked one of them into being video taped while "earning" the shirt. Stan said that because three club members weren't present for the 'unveiling' he had to prove it to them with a video.

Although the T-shirt ceremony was often hilarious and the wet T contest always a joy, what always impressed me the most about Herd Boogies was the mutual respect everyone had for each other's gear and personal belongings.

I attended and flew at many boogies and remember the vans, trucks, campers, cars and motorcycles all open with jump gear, personal stuff and more than a little unmentionable 'stuff' often out in the open and unhidden. I'm sure that gear and personal clothing was stolen at some time over the years, but I never personally experienced nor heard of theft at a Herd Boogie.

If the none jumping community and the world could absorb some of our mutual respect for each other's gear and belief systems, we'd have a whole lot better planet.

Those were the days!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I attended and flew at many boogies and remember the vans, trucks, campers, cars and motorcycles all open with jump gear, personal stuff and more than a little unmentionable 'stuff' often out in the open and unhidden. I'm sure that gear and personal clothing was stolen at some time over the years, but I never personally experienced nor heard of theft at a Herd Boogie.

Those were the days!

I couldn't agree more on the subject of Soss. Those who knew him will never forget.

I, too, had a girlfriend who earned her Herd T-shirt and, blushes notwithstanding, was pleased as hell with her audacity.

As far as things going missing at one of their boogies, who had the cojones to face the likes of Walt and Soss if they were caught?!