howardwhite

Gene Hunnell -- DZ USA

Some of you will remember DZ USA, a news magazine that was published from the mid-sixties into the seventies.
On the PIA "Pioneers of Parachuting" site, I just discovered this Guestbook entry:

======
Hello all! I would like to speak to some fellow "pioneers." My first jump was in 1963 and I received my gold wings in 1970. I'm a friend of Jacque Istel, Garth Taggert and Jim Arender. If you all read this please contact me, I have lost touch over the years. I was also the owner and editor of DZ USA Magazine from 1965-1972.

If anyone wishes to contact me they can do so at Gene Hunnell, 3333 South Alameda, Apt 22J, Corpus Christi, TX 78411 or call me at 361-855-8561.
======
(I discovered this only because I have been roped into, or volunteered to try to breathe some life into the PIA "low numbers" web pages.):|

HW

Thanks for the clicky, I guess. I was kind of hoping not to attract too much attention to it until it's worth visiting.[:/]

That was you in the bsbd T-shirt at the banquet?

HW

>:(

But there WAS a reason...other than my total lack of class and taste!

I hadn't expected to go, but was dragged down at the last minute...and unlike Tony Thackers tee shirt, at least MINE was clean! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

But there WAS a reason...other than my total lack of class and taste!

I hadn't expected to go, but was dragged down at the last minute...and unlike Tony Thackers tee shirt, at least MINE was clean! ;)

Guess that means your all growed up now!;)
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Thanks Gene, DZ USA did a lot for the early sport.
The sport should remember and thank the early writers who communicated to us about our fledging sport of parachuting. So, all Hail “Gene” C.E. Hunnel. Communicator! When I was editor of the Texas Parachute Council Newsletter, he published a nice newsletter, “DZ USA” back when skydiving wasn’t a legal word, he portrayed that yesteryear succinctly. Hail!

Gene’s words provided us with a snapshot of back then, the ‘was’ of a very ‘is’ sport. He tersely tells of pre-history unthinkable today. He was there. He communicated that. As Mr. Hunnel says, “We were learning … what we should not do.” He relates that USPA, (PCA), emerged at a time while many jumpers were “Outlaw-Skydivers.” Recall that PCA’s founders included ‘outlaws.’ For instance, Dr. Ed Fitch, one of my instructors, had some outlaw tendencies. Ed helped enable USPA.

I think that Gene Hunnel merits our highest praise. He is a skydiver. He communicates skydiving. My not subtle theme: Hail to Gene and to all communicators. Hail sharing knowledge!

Pat Works
DS-USA, Pull-It-Sir- Prize 1966
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

My post should also mention and praise Mr. Howard Gregory whose works still do much to facilitate communication. Thank you Howard!
(Gregory and Hunnel are members of a group of scribves that include "little David," L. Cameron, M. Truffer, D. Poynter, S. Garrison, C. Shea-simonds, W. Ottley, and several others ... (my brain fades, still...)
We all benefit from their shared thoughts.
Thanks!
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

two other big names in communication of parachuting i negelcted to mention: 1> J. Scott Hamilton from the mid '70s. 2> Howard White. Howard has been a prolific skydiving author and Parachuting journalist since about 1965. Howard White, (C-3896) was Orange DZ's chief instructor. He was involved in Poynter's early Newsletter SPOTTER and has made MANY contributions to PCA/USPA over the years. He's an active writer and I believehe is a mainstay of this forum. Keep it up Howard!