longtall

jumpmaster rigs

Saw a show recently about airborne jumps. The JM was wearing a FF rig with a hexagonal (pilot chute cap?) Does anyone know what this rig is? Pictures?
I think Kittinger was wearing one as a main on the long lonely leap....................J..............................
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

Probably an Air Force BA-22 type rig. Has been in use for decades. See attached image.

Hi GW

Thanks for the pic. When we were crewing on C-130's "back in the day" The plane would always carry 10 of those great rigs as standard equipment.

During drops we would wear one for opening the door and the army JM's would wear another one.

They were rigged with bail out bottles and a blast handle, glad we never had to use it either hi or lo.

Funny thing was since e had to wear the thing we thought we might as well learn to skydive. after we learned the real deal:o I would not want to fall out when we were chucking bundles at 300'.

R.I.P.

I was in the 82nd 90-94, and the JM wore the standard t-10 and belly reserve, rucksack. The safety wore the set-up your describing and unlike the JM he stayed with the plane. It allways impressed me how much longer the JM was on his feet than the rest of us with the same load hanging off of him.

And in special circumstances the Safety would wear a T-10, and T-10R with ruck and weapon, and jump too!

Being a JM in the 82nd, where most of the jumps where mass exit and they all left in 1 or 2 passes, wasn't to bad. Then came the day you got one of those small DZ's and only 10 to 12 could get out of the C-141 with 180 jumpers on board (like Postage Stamp or Grenada DZ's).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!