BLee52

Funeral For a Friend

I went on a dive this last weekend at Houston Skydive Center to scatter the ashes of Byron Earl McMahon jr.
Durning the 70's I spent time with Byron both in a Texas Army National Guard Airborne unit and at the different Drop Zones around the south.
We were tight, dated the some of the same women.I watched Him Bounce and live to tell the tale.
He had an enduring habit of turning his lights off and riding 3 inches off your bumper after dark, not because it saved gas or anything but just for the fun of it.
Did i mention he was a wildass
Well sometime in the late 70's we sobered up. I got married went over seas, when I returned Byron had married also, and continued to jump sporadically through the 80's He broke his ankle a second time and I lost touch with him, until his wife Linda called me, and the wishes for his remains were completed last Saturday.
It's all been kind of quiet like, and I've felt like it was not enough,Maybe a little guilty I didn't make a bigger deal out of it, so here it is, I hope everyone will indulge me this, in the spirit that it is intended.
Him, Him, Fuck,Him

Hi Bill.

A young guy named Nelson was one of the jumpers with a video camera on the load, who docked on the other side of me for the ash release formation. He didn't have equipment at the DZ to download his camera onto a DVD. But he said he'll do that at home, and pass the disc to me. I will then make sure that the DVD gets to you. I don't know what the video will look like, but it's something by which to remember the dive. This may take a while, as I'll be away from the DZ for the next three weekends, two of them on a wilderness canoe trip. I'll get back in touch with you later.

It was very cool to see you in the air again, and I'm glad that we could do something to help you and Linda pay tribute to Byron, and honor one of his final wishes.

- John Rich