nndefense

Ft.Polk 1969

That's a little before my time, but I helped re-start the Polk club in 1998. The Rucker club had just closed and we got their gear. It lasted a little while with us jumping on Honor Field before shutting down again when a new airfield commander bitched about providing aircraft support.

CDR

Hey I was in A-1-1 too! but starting in Feb 67.

Gemini,
Did you ever have to low crawl up and down that hill when the drill sargents were pissed at everyone? It was just across the road from the company area. I still have scarrs on both knees from crawling up and down that damn place with a lunatic D.I. screaming in your ear. Gees talk about tiring. Back then it wasn't unusual to see a D.I. haul off and kick someone they didn't like.

Later we moved across base to Tiger Land for infantry training. I was really really glad to leave that place....Steve1

Did you ever have to low crawl up and down that hill when the drill sargents were pissed at everyone? It was just across the road from the company area. I still have scarrs on both knees from crawling up and down that damn place with a lunatic D.I. screaming in your ear. Gees talk about tiring. Back then it wasn't unusual to see a D.I. haul off and kick someone they didn't like. ***

They were still kicking ass in '69 and I was still crawlling that hill. Fact is, I low crawled just about everywhere in '69.

Fortunately a certain Bird Colonel knew who I was as a jumper and I wound up running Ft. Polk SPC in '69/70 while I was there. I was the manager, pilot, jumpmaster and bartender. We drink enough beer to float a battleship. Great times!!!

At Polk in '69, we leased a C180 from Doc Fitch in Housten, and flew out of the AAF at Polk. The airfield commander there didn't like our senior officer, Col. Walde, and redlined all his a/c on the week-ends. We jumped on the main parade field at Polk, but mostly, we went to DeRidder on the week-ends and jumped there. Locals there probably have video tape of me doing shit with a 180 that the FAA would not be happy with.