bclark

Cedar Valley, UT

hey there, has any one out there jumped at the old drop zone at Cedar Valley Airport, in Ut? I started jumping there in '96. There is no longer an active DZ there, but there is a lot of history. The Goat Head Bar, Beech 18's, DC-3
s, Twin Bananas. I am not necessarily looking for people I know, just people who have memories of the DZ. Lot's of friends from that Dz who are no longer around. pPlease share stories.

Jack Guthrie taught me how to jump there back in 1986. Great guy. I thought he was still around? Where is he now. Hardon and Todd were my level 3 AFF jump masters. I forget Hardon's roommate's name at the time. Had alot of great times there. Spent a total of 6 months there.
We are all engines of karma

I jumped there in June '83 - from Cessna 182 N9907T.

On the first jump there broke lines and ripped the bottom out of the main - cut away and had a very soft stand-up under the Swift reserve.

Field elevation was high, but not as high as the dz at Steamboat Springs CO, which is somewhere around 7000 feet.

Larry Patterson owned the place when I was there from 1983 to 1988. I flew a few loads and had my first engine failure there, dinging a prop blade on a rock in the plowed field I landed in.
Met Jack Guthrie there, Steve Hardon, Shawn & Shawna ???? ... and a bunch of good folks.
Had a real blast when Larry had gliders out there. Flew down to the DZ in a Piper J-3, make a leap or two, fly a load, take a glider up in BOOMING thermals. Ahhhhhhhhh ... the good old days.
Zing Lurks

between thermals, ridge lift, and DUST DEVILS there are lots of places to get lift there. The engine out dinged prop story sounds interesting. When I learned how to skydive they had Beech D-18S N6BA and C-182 N9770T. As far as I know Larry still owns the airport. Perhaps you remember Brent Davis. He was airport manager last I checked. Ran the glider concession. What a cool place to skydive. Besides the high altitude and dust devils the DZ there had a great vibe. Just close enough to civilization to be convenient, just far away enough you could pretty much do whatever you wanted there. John Cashman took me on my first AFF jump. Johnny and Janet flew the Twin Beech. Doing AFF at the time were Nathan Hall, Annette Woodhead, JoNathan, Gordon? Lewis.

I never saw a twin beech there, but I think N9770T was the Cessna I pranged. Kind of a shit tan, lavender and silver 182. I do remember Brent and Annette ... probably met some of the others you mention. I always enjoyed getting out of the city to Cedar Valley because it was a beautiful valley to explore.
I was working as pilot for a company developing a high-res aeromagnetic airborne survey system and spent many hours buzzing around the area. I'd spot interesting areas from the air and then take my old Land Rover out and go explore them.
Zing Lurks