crotalus01

can one of you old-timers explain....

Hi steve1,

Is that a pop top reserve on the hot dog on the left?

Since I do not see a PopTop pilot chute I am thinking it might be Security's version. They built a slim-pack reserve very much like a PopTop (even with the pins on the back side) but with the pilot chute inside of the container.

Just my guess on a fuzzy photo,

Jerry

PS) This is kinda fun going down Memory Lane.B|

Just my guess on a fuzzy photo,

Jerry

Maybe I can mess with those pictures and try to get them to come in a little clearer. My scanner is messed up. There is a round pilot chute in the center of it, but the picture is so crappy that I know it's hard to see.....

Also, the PopTop preceded the StyleMaster as a center pull but it had the pins on the back side of the container, just like a Racer does to this day.

Jerry

Yeah, the poptop was centerpull with the pins behind as you describe. However in the context of the bent pins/cones (rotating or not), it should be noted that the poptop had loops rather than pins.

I really liked my poptop compared to the belly wart I had prior, but the Wonderhog blew all that stuff right off my back (and front) when I saw Bill's prototype in Deland one day :D I went to work for him two weeks later and one of the first Wonderhogs I built was for ME :ph34r:

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I just found this post... I have been a rigger since 1980. Here's the scoop:
Blast handles aka: Anti Wind-Blast Ripcord Handles were designed for ejection from jet aircraft...designed to not come out of the housing ferrule by mistake... for skydiving they created a problem... if you pulled the handle at an angle, it would jam... the solution was to drill out the inner post that fits into the ferrule.
Once the 3-Ring came into being, another problem arose... the Blast handle hung right next to and below the 3-Ring... after a cutaway the ring drops down. I watched a friend of mine grab the Large ring of his 3-ring after a cutaway... and pull on that for about 1000' until he realized that he didn't have the handle... he found his blast handle and saddled out at about 500'... pretty scary!

~R
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"