dump_master

Fatality - Paso Robles - 19 June 1999

This is an old multiple fatality mishap. Although it appears to be "pilot error" NTSB Report and not specifically jumper related, I hope that it is still relevant in this forum. Forgive me if it is not.

My interest in the accident is due to the fact that I knew Dan Dougherty from our days together in the military. Although I had not seen him in 17 years, I knew Dan was an avid jumper and lived for the sport. I was very sad to learn of his fate.

Searching the web, I found Dan's memorial Page. It's heartwarming to see the lives he touched in a positive way.

My condolences to Dan's family and the families of his fellow jumpers that lost their lives that day.

I'm sure one of the moderators will move this thread, but it would probably be a better question for the Skydiving History and Trivia forum.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, hard to believe.

I hung around with Dan after I first moved out here back in 1989. He taught me a lot of rigging, skydiving, and bad jokes. We spent a lot of time in his loft, or drinking beer, or listening to rock-n-roll, or chasing girls, or talking about skydiving. Oh yeah, we got some jumps in too!

Just a few weeks before the accident, he had come into my office, smiling like a kid who had a key to the candy store. Life was good, his planes were running and carrying jumpers, he actually felt like things were finally going his way.....

I still think of him everytime I pick up my gearbag, made super oversize and tough as nails. It's been around the world and back a few times fro ten years now, but has never failed me. I know he's proud up there about it, but I surely miss him down here.

BSBD
Craig
Jump more, post less!