froglady

Round canopy ?

Hi there Froggy,

Let me take you back in time a little; I know because I was there (so was Pop).

What you have is what we called a 'LoPo' and it is what was called a Diamond Pattern. Take another look and each panel; they are somewhat diamond shaped.

The photo that Wartload attached is of ParaCommenders (PC's in our day) in what we called a Checkerboard Pattern. Look closely and you will see that the panels are more square shaped; thus the checkerboard.

Now, with all that, there will be a quiz at the end of the class.

Hi there Froggy,

Let me take you back in time a little; I know because I was there (so was Pop).

What you have is what we called a 'LoPo' and it is what was called a Diamond Pattern. Take another look and each panel; they are somewhat diamond shaped.

The photo that Wartload attached is of ParaCommenders (PC's in our day) in what we called a Checkerboard Pattern. Look closely and you will see that the panels are more square shaped; thus the checkerboard.

Now, with all that, there will be a quiz at the end of the class.

And they are somewhat "diamond shaped" because the canopy is bias constructed. The PC is "more square shaped" because it is block constructed. :)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hey y'all - this thread brought to mind a cartoon in Parachutist - appeared early to mid 60s.

A shack of a house, leaning, almost falling down. Needs paint bad. Boards peelng up on the porch. Bent up old cattywhompus TV antenna on top. A patched two-holer out back. Wreck of a rusted-out car in front. From inside, an angry voice:

"Fer cryss' sake - one lousy LoPo ain't gonna break us!"

This past weekend I got it washed and a good look at it, yes diamonds, there are quiet a few patched (not suprisingly).

A very sweet lady friend of mine is donating a blue and white Russian PC to my quest. Now I just need to find an old rig or two. I can't wait to see the kids trying to figure out what all the cool stuff is.