MikeTJumps

Interesting Statistics of our industry

in-utero jumps

:o:P Who would do such a thing :);)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The smilie and angelic is because my son (as Mike T knows) has about 50 :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Mike. Thanks for that link.

I'm struck by this stat:
Manufacturer profitability
(15 manufacturers)
1996-2000: $5.1 million on sales of $81 million.
That's only 6% profit from gross sales. So on that $1,500 canopy we buy, they make a whopping $90.

I think I'll stop bitching about the cost of parachute gear now.

Hi Mike. Thanks for that link.

I'm struck by this stat:

Manufacturer profitability
(15 manufacturers)
1996-2000: $5.1 million on sales of $81 million.
That's only 6% profit from gross sales. So on that $1,500 canopy we buy, they make a whopping $90.

Overall...6%???:o

I'll bet it's deceiving in part because it's not the cost of labor & materials that got into that gear, but the R&D and certification.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Unfortunately, I have two obligations from 7/7 through 7/18 that will keep me out of Texas.

#1 My father's 88th birthday up in CT the weekend of 7/9-10. His BD is 7/13.

#2 Participation at the USPA's BOD meeting in Alexandria, VA from Friday, 7/15 through Sunday, 7/17.

I encourage all going to the skyfest to enjoy themselves and be safe.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Unfortunately, I have two obligations from 7/7 through 7/18 that will keep me out of Texas.

#1 My father's 88th birthday up in CT the weekend of 7/9-10. His BD is 7/13.

#2 Participation at the USPA's BOD meeting in Alexandria, VA from Friday, 7/15 through Sunday, 7/17.

Thanks Mike, thats great Mike 88 wow! My dads BD was 7-23. Can you suggest in teh Board Meeting that they change their date, every year SkyFest conflicts with the meeting, you guys need to come and play too!:)
Have a good one.

I encourage all going to the skyfest to enjoy themselves and be safe.

The table listing risks from various activities needs CAREFUL interpretation, since it implicitly assumes that everyone in the US is at risk from the stated activity. For example:

Motorcycle rider, 3,215 incidents leading to a one year risk of 1 in 89,562 is really silly, since it assumes that all 288,000,000 Americans are motorcyclists. In fact, only motorcycle riders, a much smaller number, are at risk from dying as a result of riding a motorcycle, so the odds of dying are much higher than quoted.

Using this methodology we would get the 1 year risk of dying skydiving of roughly 1 in 8 million. A useless number, since if you actually skydive the risk is around 1 in 1000, and if you don't the risk is zero.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.