NickDG

I've Become Him . . .

Ain't know way a jumper should be called a Canopy Pilot. That's just wrong.......

I disagree. Back when we were jumping canopies that required little in the way of jumper input, okay, we weren't really pilots (it was a canopy "ride"). But the canopies being jumped today require pilotage. The term "canopy pilot" is useful in that it acknowledges that change.

Speaking as one who resisted learning more about flying a canopy than I thought I needed to get myself back to the dz, applying the term "canopy pilot" to myself helped me adjust my attitude toward canopy flight. I'm a much safer skydiver now because of that adjustment.

So, let's bring the sport back to it's true, old school, grassroots, terminology.

No one is forced to use the new vocabulary, and imho it's a good thing that some jumpers respect and honor our history. But the sport has changed, and therefore so has the terminology.

Change ain't neccessarily a bad thing.

Oh, and the term "safety meeting" is still universally understood.:D

>>Back when we were jumping canopies that required little in the way of jumper input<<

I agree with that but only because I know it started earlier than when squares were common. I think airborne type un-modified rounds (where slipping was the only option) was pretty hapless. But jumping modified rounds and the later high performance rounds called for piloting. Running, holding, and crabbing were defiantly skills one had to master in those days . . .

However, when I read the posts of the fellow who calls himself "DiverDriver" (whose authoritative writings I enjoy) I can't help but picturing him operating a boat.

On the other hand, there are a few newer terms I do agree with, like calling a wind tunnel a "hair dryer."

Some others bits of new wisdom I dislike:

"Green means go."

"Atmospheric Dolphin" (That's an old new one, but it still makes me laugh.)

"Safe for FreeFly." As in some rigs are and some rigs aren't. In reality no rigs are if they inadvertently deploy.

"Safety Day." Stupid me, I spend a lifetime teaching everyday was safety day.

"Tandem Student." No such thing. That's just an otherwise AFF student being fleeced.

NickD :)BASE 194