Rainmagnet

Mr Bill?

Boy do I feel old :o

I'm morally certain there are some "Mr Bill" websites out there. Look for Sluggo also.

But yes, Saturday Night Live.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK, thanks.

I guess thats why it didnt mean much to me then.
I'm in Jersey (GB - not 'New') and Sat night live was never really much of a hit here. We just pick up occasional re-runs.

So who was the Mr Bill character and why the catch-phrase?
And what is the relationship (if any) between that and climbing up someone under canopy and jumping off them?

Oops. I didn't even look at your profile -- cultural centrism strikes again!

Mr. Bill was a fairly crudely-made clay figurine who was the target of all kinds of abuse. It was funny, because it was so over-the-top. Sluggo was his perpetual abuser, but Mr. Bill was unlucky, too.

And every time he'd get stepped on, driven over, caught in a paper shredder, we'd see what happened to the clay, and a voice in the background would say "Oh NOOOOOOOO!"

I don't know who first called the attached jumps "Mr. Bill" jumps, but their likelihood increased about the time Mr Bill was on TV, because piggy-back equipment got popular enough for most people to have it. It might have been because, if Mr. Bill had gone skydiving, he definitely would have fallen off the airplane, out of the harness, and every other spectacular problem you can imagine.

And it could be there was a particular skit where he did go skydiving.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)