Chief

Fall Rates

What is considered to be a "normal" fall rate for belly flyers? It seems everyone has a different opinion (based on their fall rate). Admittedly I am new and have many questions. Best way to get answers is to ask! Thanks and Stay Safe.

<<< Subject: Re: Fall Rates
What is considered to be a "normal" fall rate for belly flyers? It seems everyone has a different opinion (based on their
fall rate). Admittedly I am new and have many questions. Best way to get answers is to ask! Thanks and Stay S>>>
Depends on the DZ. F'rinstance, normal at ZHills would be considered slow at SkydiveChicago.
Also depends on the group size; big ways generally start with a fast falling base which slows down quite a lot as more people dock. The 6-way base for the 2000 300-way attempts was falling at over 140mph.

As part of my attempt to be one of the biggest geeks in skydiving, I track all the jumps I make. In doing so, I've actually become fairly accurate in estimating the fall rate. My estimates are usually within one or two mph of the actual fall rate compared to my Pro-Track.
There is no normal fall rate and with apologies to John, it varies wildly at even a single dropzone depending on exactly what group you're jumping with.
At Perris, I've tracked jumps in the 114 mph range for low-timer L/O jumps. I personally find this WAY too slow for newbies, but I'm not the L/O, so who am I to say.
Good 4-way teams are usually in the 120-125 range.
Most casual 4-way is in the 118-122 range.
At least this is what I've noticed over about 700 camera jumps.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Don't know my fastest but my slowest: 89 mph (average) for the whole dive. Shooting video on a Military Vector Tandem, 160 pound Tandem Master, a 45 pound ruck, no passenger and the biggie...a six foot drouge!!! Had my wings inflated, arms out, legs out, fingers cupped, shoulers rolled forward hugging air, dearched, and my BIG mouth opened as wide as possible!!! LMAO
Dino

Slowest dive I've been on (and could measure): 112 (Roger Ponce big way)
Fastest: 126 (4 way)

Extremes? How about 101 to 135 for 4-way? Ok, I'll admit the 101 was a fluke -- 4 camera flyers turning points while wearing camera suits, but the 135 was a totally legit, if somewhat overweight, skydive.
quade
http://futurecam.com