pchapman

Full Stalls for USPA B license - how stalled?

ShotterMG

Serious question; other than returning to full flight, what else is "learned" about how to recover from a full stall? Thanks

If I may add to what you've been given by the more experienced folks, one of the reasons to practice stalling your current canopy and any new canopy that you move to, is to figure out where in the toggle stroke you start to get into the stall parameters of your canopy ( is it with the toggles buried all the way down to your crotch or just below the belt line ).
That way, when you're flying around in brakes or doing your flare and the toggles start to move into that area, you know that you might be close to the stall configuration.
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Courtesy of PRE7117, love that line.

There's a lot of unnecessary bickering in this thread. Let's let that be and focus on the topic at hand.

For what it's worth, I have a little over 5200 jumps, about 5300 if I include all my military static line jumps, in nearly 29 years of hurling myself out of airplanes. In all that time I have been hungry to learn and have continually gathered information and skill from a variety of sources. If there's one thing I have discovered it's that I can pick up new things from anybody regardless of experience level. I have learned things from both students and rock stars with five digit jump numbers.

When I don't care to learn anymore, it will be time for me to sell my gear and take up something new. Until then I will continue to seek improvement through threads such as this one, [hint] provided they are not cluttered with noise [/hint]
Arrive Safely

John

slotperfect

Until then I will continue to seek improvement through threads such as this one, [hint] provided they are not cluttered with noise [/hint]

:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

pchapman

The book learning on stalls is a start, but not necessarily easy to apply when someone actually stalls. (Exhibit 1: popsjumper's tale above)

One of the advantages of being an old fart....you also get experience for showing people what NOT to do.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Here's a nice video of a stall and recovery.

It's definitely important to let them up slowly. I recently got a Sabre 2 170 to replace my Sabre 170. I tried to stall it the first few jumps (all high pulls to practise) but wasn't successful. When I finally stalled it, the brakes got a lot heavier than the previous canopies I stalled and wasn't holding the brakes hard enough, let up the right toggle up a little too quick, the nose on the right side folded under and I got into a spin and it was only after a lot of rear riser pulls and deep brakes I was able to stop it. If I was lower, I would have cut it away.