wasatchrider

Dropzone in slc area Utah

Skydive Utah in Erda, and Skydive Ogden. Both are great, both offer turbine aircraft and fantastic views. You will find nice people to jump with at both dz's. So IMO, it comes down to convenience, prices, etc...

I am a bit biased toward Skydive Utah, as it is my home DZ. Also I prefer the uncongested area and uncontrolled airport there vs. the congested area and tower controlled airport at Ogden.

Ogden. Grand caravan versus a (baby blue) King Air. I like Jack but the Caravan beats out the King Air for this old fat RW guy :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Ogden. Grand caravan versus a (baby blue) King Air. I like Jack but the Caravan beats out the King Air for this old fat RW guy :)

Baby Blue 229 has been gone for nearly two seasons, replaced with a nearly brand-new King, sincerely twice as fast as the Caravan (or older King).
7-8 mins to altitude...

I'm biased to Skydive Utah too. Great views, huge landing areas, great peeps.

Baby Blue 229 has been gone for nearly two seasons, replaced with a nearly brand-new King, sincerely twice as fast as the Caravan (or older King).
7-8 mins to altitude...

I'm biased to Skydive Utah too. Great views, huge landing areas,
great peeps.

:$Guess I should go say hello. No matter where you choose you will get safe and experinaced training. Vist both on a Sunday and check out the vibe. Saturdays are hectic at both DZ's and hard to talk to a lot of the locals if they are all working Hucking tandems.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

What's your favorite and why. I'm going to do an aff eventually and need to pick a dz

Both have well maintained turbine aircraft, quality instructors, and good equipment. From a safety standpoint you can't go wrong either way.

I have jumped at both and prefer Ogden for many reasons.
#1 it is closer to my house.

I like the Caravan better, the King air is faster but the Caravan is plenty fast enough. The King air is cramped with a full load and it has a tiny door that is too close to the tail for my comfort. It is fast but so what? the Caravan is fast enough and roomy with a huge door, long floater bar and camera step. If I had the choice I would go with the Caravan every time. I have other issues with a King air for a jump plane but that is another thread, do a search.

Facillities Ogden wins hands down, Modern clean bathrooms instead of port-a potties, hot showers, and the new kitchen with granite counter tops. Ogden has a huge indoor padded packing area with clean carpets. The "Dirt dive diner" will be open this summer with a huge outdoor grill and there is talk of breakfast being served.

Ogden also has one of the best indoor wind tunnels in the world and many of the instructors also work at the DZ. The tunnel is 5 minutes from the dropzone. We get $10 minutes for our students.

The landing area at Ogden is enormous, it is the second largest airport in the state next to Salt Lake international.
With the new "green grass project" there will be the largest grass landing area in the west with a huge pea pit for the tandems. The irrigation is almost done.

I like the scenery better up north, we climb over the spine of the northern Wasatch and have incredible views of Snowbasin, Powder mountain, Pine view, and of course the Great Salt Lake.
Onward and Upward!