rasmack

DZ near Toronto (and Canada in general)?

Seems I'll be crossing the Atlantic again, this time heading to a conference in Toronto. Any word on which of the nearby DZs might be best suited for a weekend of RW relaxation after a week of high-energy physics? The reviews in the DZ database seem mostly concerned with instructing and student progressions.

Oh, and if someone could fill me in on being a foreign jumper in Canada, I'd like to hear about it.

• Are foreign licenses recognized?
  • Do I have to conform to Canadian or Danish repack cycle?
  • How the h**l do I get from Toronto to a DZ? Rent a car? Public transportation?

Thanks,
    /R :)
    HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
    “I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
    - Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Any FAI licence should do.
    Repack cycles? I've never actually seen the issue come up. I don't know of any CSPA rule on foreign jumpers.

We've got 180 days; if you use more, I would expect (but can't guarantee) that DZ's will be OK with it .

A car helps. But Skydive Toronto (an hour NNW of Toronto) can be reached by regional bus (GO Bus), that'll get you to a village a couple miles away, and from there the DZ can pick you up. Bus runs maybe once an hour. Skydive Toronto has their Caravan running; other DZ's with turbines don't have their leased ones around until some time in May. (You didn't say when the conference is.)

Not sure about Parachute School of Toronto (an hour NNE of Toronto) - they might be accessible the same way by GO Bus.

Parachute School of Toronto has more organized RW going on, but until its turbine is around, only has a C-206.

Ah yes, a little specificity (is that a word?) might help. The conf. is late August, so it should be well within the season. Sounds from your description like both DZs have reasonable lift capacity. The RW organization speaks in favour of PST. Public transportation speaks for ST. Choices choices... ;)

Anywho, sounds like bringing the rig isn't an unreasonably crazy idea.

Cheers and thanks,
    /R:)

If you are willing to drive a little longer, Skydive Burnaby is another decent option, and I do believe they have a Otter in summer.

Yep, Skydive Burnaby has Otter coming shortly, if not already there.

Parachute School of Toronto had that 900hp Supervan last year, but I heard that one isn't coming back, I think a different jump ship is. (Have not heard yet)

Niagara Skydive Center now has the Navajo, which can bring 10 jumpers up -- it probably will now have more 4-way jumping this year, as they can fling upwards 3 tandems and a 4-way.

There's Skydive Toronto Inc., and for a longer drive (2-3 hour), There's Grand Bend Sport Parachuting Center, and Skydive Gananoque.

Foreign licenses are recognized at all of these. We do the 180-day repack cycle, and you'll almost certainly have to rent a car. If you're desparate, you may want to join the Facebook pages of the above dropzones, to try to find carpool of other Toronto jumpers.

Parachute School of Toronto should have the STL Skyvan (twin turbine tailgate) today or tomorrow although I am breaking my own "don't say anything until it is parked at the DZ" rule. You can take the GO bus to Sutton and be picked up - just arrange that with Adam or someone at the DZ before you get on the bus.

Come to the US. Freefall times are longer because of the greater centrifugal force closer to the Equator.

No, wait. Freefall times are longer because centrifugal force makes the planet bulge nearer the Equator, thus you're under more mass in freefall nearer the Equator.

OK, never mind.

Come to the US. Freefall times are longer because of the greater centrifugal force closer to the Equator.

No, wait. Freefall times are longer because centrifugal force makes the planet bulge nearer the Equator, thus you're under more mass in freefall nearer the Equator.

OK, never mind.

Dude, whatever you guys are smoking in the states, I want me some of that... B|