petur

Lineover malfunction fixed during flight

Jim, from your attitude about how students should handle malfunctions, I had to assume you were not a JM or I. Checking your profile, I was relieved to see that I was right. I am not bashing you at all, but would submit that with this attitude:(from your profile)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Jumps: Does it matter?

that it DOES matter when students are asking for good advice, and that you may want to make your experience known to them before they go against what their instructors taught them.

I think we should teach students the right way the first time. In my opinion it's just plain confusing to teach a student one thing in the FJC and then turn around and tell them what learned only a few jumps ago is incorrect. I think that this is especially important when we're talking about getting rid of what might turn out to be a perfectly good parachute. We teach them to kick out of line twists, we teach them to give a long deep flare to fix closed end cells, why can't we teach them to do the same to attempt to clear a lineover, why can't we teach them that if the canopy opens in a spin they might want to see if one brake is released? Let's give these students some credit here, it's really not that much additional information to digest and it could save lives.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I think there is validity to both sides of that coin, however I am not willing to risk giving the wrong student some credit and that student be the one that gets confused over which mal to cut away and which one to work with. We've all seen the student who wants to kick ot of the line twists in the bag lock picture, and has to be shown the difference in the two. I believe that teaching to try three pumps IF the canopy AND SLIDER are square and the canopy is steerable (then emergency procedures if turn or funny shape not corrected) is reasonable. But, I don't think I will be naming the line-over as a special malfunction to work with. Reserves are just too reliable now to have students playing with line-overs. I hope you don't take offense to my disagreement with you!

As a student, I was taught to cutaway a canopy that is deformed. Either it's good or it's not. Only time to pump toggles was end cell closure or to bring the slider down.

As you become more experienced with your canopy, you become better prepared to attempt to fix a problem ... there is no difinitive answer as to how one should react to a line over. Me? I'll cutaway...

I once had a line over on a round pc. I tried to flare it off and it slid and locked, createing a bow tie. Which turned into a spinning mal. To me it would be a judgement call, to chop and ride a reserve. blue skies , softer landings

--------------------------------------------------
who Jah bless Let no man curse.

why can't we teach them to do the same to attempt to clear a lineover

Another point...not just for students. We all agree that a line over CAN damage the skin of a canopy. OK...lets say you clear it but it has ripped a large amount of the top skin. I hope that person does a VERY good controlability check. I have seen someone land a Cobalt with damaged top skin. Luckily, it only folded as he came to a stop. He stumbled a little but was fine. That was a small tear in the nose. If it had been larger it could have been much worse. Anyway, I still say chop it...