Parrot

RIG PARTS

Thanks for that link, ive read through it. I asked the question because the following isnt completely clear to me, i cant visualize that. Since I have no rig of my own Im not able to follow the story and look at a rig. How and where is that closing loop connected to the closing pin, and why does it pull the closing pin, is there a spring behind it ?
`[font "Arial"]The tip of the bullet is wedge-shaped, like a knife, and it cuts a piece of cord called the closing loop. The closing pin for the reserve chute hooks through the closing loop to hold the reserve chute in the container. Cutting the closing loop is the surest way possible to deploy the reserve. `[/font]
[font "Arial"]Thx [/font]
[font "Arial"]Parrot.[/font]

Heh, thats funny .

Thanks for that link, ive read through it. I asked the question because the following isnt completely clear to me, i cant visualize that. Since I have no rig of my own Im not able to follow the story and look at a rig. How and where is that closing loop connected to the closing pin, and why does it pull the closing pin, is there a spring behind it ?

First, talk to your jumpmaster about your gear. Ask him what happens during deployment, and then what happens during cutaway, and reserve release. There's a lot to learn about the gear, but in the end, it's all very simple.

Before you gear up, you should be checking your rig to make sure everything looks right. When you open the main closing flap, you'll see a closing pin or ripcord going through the closing loop. The closing loop is attached to the rig, and holds the main container closed. (It is not attached to the closing pin, btw, and in fact, that would be very bad). When you throw out the pilot chute, it catches air and extends the bridle. Along the bridle, the closing pin is attached, and at an appropriate distance, the pilot chute pulls out the closing pin from the closing loop. This opens the main container so that your deployment bag and main canopy can come out. The pilot chute keeps pulling the d-bag until line stretch, at which point the main canopy comes out of the bag. Hopefully, it inflates, and saves your life.

If not, there's another closing pin on your reserve. This one is pulled by your reserve handle directly, and a spring-loaded pilot chute will be ejected from the top part of your rig, pulling the reserve bag "freebag" out, and allowing the reserve to inflate. Big difference is that the d-bag on your main is attached to the canopy, whereas on the reserve, it will fall free once it has released the reserve. (Hence the term, "freebag")...

(standard disclaimer: I don't have many jumps, and there are many exceptions to this description, so your equipment may vary).

Offcourse ill ask my instructor too. Finnally im getting a picture, when the closing loop is cut they actually cut the cord which forms the loop without pulling the closing-pin......? One more thing though, is the end of the cypres which fires the wedge-shape bullet located in the reserve-pack, at the beginning and end of the closing loop, (on 1 of the flaps of the reserve) ??
Thx for your reactions so far,
Parrot.

Heh, thats funny .

One more thing though, is the end of the cypres which fires the wedge-shape bullet located in the reserve-pack, at the beginning and end of the closing loop, (on 1 of the flaps of the reserve) ??
Parrot.

Yes, the cutter is inside the reserve container. The exact position depends on the rig. The "bullet", actually a cutter, is inside a small metal tube. The tube has a small hole that the closing loop passes though. If the AAD is activated, the cutter slams forward, cutting the closing loop and allowing the pilot chute to launch. The cutter remains contained inside that small metal tube.

As a caution, when talking about an AAD, avoid using words like "explosion" or "bullet." We have some troubles getting this gear past airport x-ray machines, and it would be even more difficult if you said one of those words by accident because that's what you usually say.

Tom Buchanan
Senior Rigger (USA)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy