JumpinJules

possibly moving to CO.. wondering about dz's

hey all!

So, I got my A two summers ago at a small cessna dz in wi, but now that I'm student teaching and working a ton, I decided to sell my stuff and try to pick it back up when I have more time & money. I will be graduating December of next year, and am looking at possibly moving to CO. I keep hearing the weather is awesome and there's tons to do. I will be moving basically anywhere I can get a job, but am thinking Colorado Springs might be a good fit. Any advice on dz's that would be friendly enough to retrain and have a good atmosphere?
Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

Mile Hi is the place to be if you want to get jumping, it is the only turbine in the state. It is north of Denver in Longmont, so if you want to jump and can work anywhere then I would look around that area. The Springs is a couple of hours to the south and there are a few Cessna DZ's to the west in Canyon City.

Mile-Hi is definitely a far cry from a Cessna DZ, both in facilities and atmosphere. But a good place (and there are some good peeps who hang out there). Just be prepared for a small culture shock.

Whether you're in the Springs or in Denver, my favorite DZ is still SkyVenture Colorado, though.

That place has totally saved me this winter...even while draining my bank account. ;)

Signatures are the new black.

What do you mean by a "small culture shock" ? You mean there's probably more diversity than the 99% caucasian city I now live in?! ;)

Not quite, northern Colorado is still fairly white in terms of race. The DZ does not have a cessna DZ vibe though, but I'm not sure you'll find that vibe at the dropzones in Canyon City either. LOTS of jumping going on at Mile Hi though. If you're into Christians/conservatives/republicans, Colorado Springs would be a great place for you. If you're into anything else, Denver would probably be your best bet for living since it's pretty central.

Cheers,
Travis