Anyone read the Skydivers Survival Guide?

Yeah, I have it, and I really like it a lot. It's perfect for someone just off student status! It doesn't explain what every little piece of gear is (i.e. wouldn't be very helpful to a whuffo), but is still really in depth and has a lot of good information. I definitely recommend it!

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive! I will read anything related to skydiving. Reading the other posts, it sounds like it is worth buying.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Didn't turn out to be what I expected. It's too elementary even for those too new to the sport. I've learn't more about
two canopys out, line twists, spinners, canopy piloting techiques, turbulance, RW, free fly safety, exit orders etc out here in these forums. Even off student status you don't need a book to tell you what a horse shoe mal is. You already know it. What you need is the opinions from others, their experiences, options, what they did, how they did it etc. May be if someone compiles all the info that's shared here into a book it'll make an excellent survival guide. This book didn't add much value to what I already knew at 20 jumps into skydiving. I think dropzone.com if far ritcher in information than that book. On one of my jumps my canopy decided to dive a bit to the right due to turbulance about 50 feet from the ground. What came to my mind at that point was someone's own experience that they had posted here. I forget who it was but he'd written quite a bit on the dynamics of canopy flight in turbulance and the steps he had taken. It was the debate that it had resulted in and all the info that came out of it that really amounted to survival skills. If you read that book what it talks about turbulance can pretty much be summed up into "turbulance is bad". Of AFF status I already knew that.

For $14 dollars it might me ok to read once or twice but in my opinion if you are really looking for a survival guide that get's you thinking and makes you understand more of what you are doing then thats not the book you are looking for.

I read this when I had about 400 jumps. I thought it was very well-written and informative. I already knew a lot of the information from experience and other reading, but I learned a few things. And this is the kind of sport where every tiny thing you learn may one day save your life... So I think it's best to get as much information from as many different sources as possible. And I think this would be a perfect book for someone right off student status.

The "Skydiver's Handbook" by Dan Poynter is pretty good too. Some of it seems a bit dated, but it's got some really good info as well...