hokiejmpr

skydiving in the Army- Best and Worst Posts?

I'm quickly coming to a time in my career that I'm going to have to leave 'The Center of The Universe' (Fort Bragg, NC)

One of the factors that's going into my choice of my next duty station is near by dz's.

Probably the number 1 priority in my mind is proximity, but taking into account aircraft, cost, weather etc, where are some good and bad choices?

Right now I have a PAC and Otter at Raeford for $20 to 13.5 (I buy in bulk) about 5 minutes from my house....so that's what I'm used to.

I'm an Artillery officer, so ideally there should be either a BCT or Fires Brigade wherever I go.

ft. sill aint bad (although i'm happy i'm only here for 6 months...being a Marine on an army base gets old)

it's a drive, but skydive dallas has 2 otters and a caravan, one of the best packing areas/lounges i have ever seen (bunks and all), and pretty good people. not to mention the weather in TX is almost alawys good. but again, it's a bit of a drive

Fort Benning has Opelika 1 hr away witha Cessna, and Skydive Atlanta 1.5 hr away with a King Air. The Silver Wings train at Skydive Atlanta. Z-Hills is a 6 hour drive from Benning.

Fort Hood, as stated above has Skydive Temple with a Cessna close by and San Marcos with an Otter(?) a couple hours away.

Fort Campbell has Skydive Paris about an hour away with a Cessna, and Mike Mullins place about three hours away with his King Air. There is a Tandem operation in Russelville, KY and some talk of an operation starting outside Campbell in Clarksville.

Fort Riley has the K-State club nearby in Wamego, and Skydive Kansas a couple hours away in Osage. All Cessna DZs in Kansas, Nepbraska, Iowa, and western Missouri, but some good regional boogies like Couch Freaks and Redemption.

Fort Irwin is in striking distance of the So-Cal DZs like Paris, but you will drive several hours.

Fort Lewis is close to Kapowsin, but I don't have specifics.

Not sure about Fort Polk anymore. Used to be a DZ in Shreveport, but I ususally went to the Beaumont/Houston area (4 hours).

1 DZ in Korea in Seoul. $100 to join, $80 a jump! (as of 2003).

Not sure about Drum or Carson.

CDR

You might also look at Ft Lewis, WA

Years ago I jumped on or nearby the base - both civilian and military.

There are currently three DZs relatively close, (though 5 minutes is going to hard to beat) depending on which part of the area you might live.

You can also use the DZ locator

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/

You might also look at Ft Lewis, WA

Years ago I jumped on or nearby the base - both civilian and military.

There are currently three DZs relatively close, (though 5 minutes is going to hard to beat) depending on which part of the area you might live.

You can also use the DZ locator

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/

I was also thinking of Fort Lewis. Kapowsin Skydiving in Shelton is relatively close and has a great reputation, flies a Caravan. You have to deal with NW weather, but summers are generally great, and some decent days in the winter too.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"