hackish

How is DeLand in December?

All the DZ's around me are closed and it's getting cold here. In December I'm going down for the PRI conference in Orlando. So I looked it up in MapQuest and Deland isn't too far away. Hell ya I want to go jump there!

Not being from the area is the beginning of December likely to have blue skies or will it be just a shot in the dark? I called and asked about gear rental and if my CSPA solo would be good there.

Asked about the weather and they only said it'll be cold. Can anyone explain what cold is down there in December? Do the regulars jump? I'd be very interested in talking to any locals - especially since I'd love to do my RW coach jumps if anyone has their C2...

-Michael

December is part of the busy season in DeLand. The weather is usually jumpable all day every day so you will be able to jump as much as you want 7 days a week. Average temperatures that time of year are 50s-70s. Cold nights can get down in the 40s. Weekdays they will probably have 1 plane running all day. Weekends will be 2 or 3. The regulars will be jumping.

If you get a chance, try to check out the other central Florida dropzones as well. Sebastian and ZHills will be very busy on weekends and both are great dropzones. Sebastian has an amazing view.

I live in Orlando so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Asked about the weather and they only said it'll be cold. Can anyone explain what cold is down there in December?

LOL...cold to a Floridian is when it dips below 65. :ph34r: I can remember many a Christmas when I've worn shorts. I'm sure you will find it quite pleasant down here. There should be plenty of people around since it is the "season". Let them know in manifest that you are looking for someone to jump with, I'm sure they will be able to hook you up.

If you'll be here during the week, schedule a tour at PD or one of the rig manufactureres. Most people really enjoy that and you learn a lot. The factories are just around the corner from the dz. And since you'll be in Orlando, schedule tunnel time!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I used to live in MI and would go to Deland in the winter. You will be able to jump. The temps are nice. Do check in with manifest and tell them you are looking for someone to jump with or to get organized. It can sometimes be difficult to find people to jump with when the teams are there training. Good luck.
You'll be glad you went.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Or, Hackish, you could just go to Z-hills and get pulled into a jump...sometimes you can't hide well enough to avoid being pulled into a jump or several.
:D:D

Be careful of going into the ghetto, though. It's kinda like Irishmen walking out of a bar sober...walking out sober ain't gonna happen.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Or, Hackish, you could just go to Z-hills and get pulled into a jump...sometimes you can't hide well enough to avoid being pulled into a jump or several.

I don't care where he jumps, but I have to say that doesn't always happen at Z-hills. No one I didn't already know has ever approached me to jump when I've been there.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't care where he jumps, but I have to say that doesn't always happen at Z-hills. No one I didn't already know has ever approached me to jump when I've been there.

that's cause your wear that t-shirt that says leave me the f alone :P
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

that's cause your wear that t-shirt that says leave me the f alone

:o I do not, I'm a people person! I LIKE people! Well, that is as long as you're not stinky, smelly, have bad breath, rude, pig-headed, arrogant, creepy or just a big freakin' weirdo.

Wait...I just described 80% of skydivers, didn't I? :ph34r:

Doc and I stopped by z-hills last year as well as deland......we were approached by a guy on the DZ who offered to jump with us at Z-hills....turned out to be one of my favorite jumps of all time - in my limited experience that is. Took a canopy control course in deland which was really great as well. This year we will hit sebastian.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I know I fit at least 2 out of those criteria I'll let you decide which ones

Well, you're a belly flier, so that would cover the big freakin' weirdo one. ;)

that's cause your wear that t-shirt that says leave me the f alone

:o I do not, I'm a people person! I LIKE people! Well, that is as long as you're not stinky, smelly, have bad breath, rude, pig-headed, arrogant, creepy or just a big freakin' weirdo.

Wait...I just described 80% of skydivers, didn't I? :ph34r:

Skymama,
Your not pig headed,:), but 7 out of 8 is still pretty bad:D......J/K

If you get a chance, try to check out the other central Florida dropzones as well. Sebastian and ZHills will be very busy on weekends and both are great dropzones. Sebastian has an amazing view.

Don't forget about the Crosskeys invasion in Sebastian (Starts Dec 27)! Can't beat the view! Even on regular weekends its busy and there's usually someone load organizing.