medic0079

wffc 2008?

I heard a rumor that an announcment was coming soon. I know this is no help but WTF.:D

I was told it was to be in November Issue's, but nothing? Oh well, not sure why?
There is another announcement comming real soon! This will be the one "not to miss" event, I promise!!

Iknow, doesnt do any good.

Oh Chris, Davis Field was selling beer this weekend during the Blue Angels so yeee haaa!!:)

I was just getting ready to ask the same question. I plan far in advance for any boogie so I can get the time off approved at work. If they go too long I’m just going to write it off and plan for some other event. The WFFC was going stale anyway so I won’t be heart broken if they don’t get things put together.

The WFFC is dead… long live the regional boogie

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to my fair share of WFFCs. Quincy and Rantoul are only a couple hours away so I’ve been spoiled rotten. That being said, even I can see they need to take the show on the road and make it the “World” Freefall Convention. That’s something I’d be willing to travel for. A fresh start in Florida, California, Spain, France, Thailand, Australia… you name it. If they ever announce a 2008 WFFC I’ll be curious to see what has changed. If they hit us with the same tired event calendar with no vendors and none of the exciting aircraft the convention used to offer I think I’ll just spend my vacation dollars on another boogie. Everyone else seems better able to do what the WFFC was known for anyway. Amazing aircraft, parties, beer and skydivers out the whazoo.

fair enough.

I do hope the year off has given time for the ideas to be plentiful as well as the aircraft types.

One thing to consider is that there are a bunch of large DZs around the country that every weekend can offer most of what WFFC offers, and the rest of what WFFC offers several times a year. Not only that, they also have nicer facilities!

I live less than 90 minutes from Rantoul, but couldn't be bothered to make the trip the last 3 years since there was nothing there that I was interested in that I couldn't get (for less $$$) at my home DZ.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

fair enough.

I do hope the year off has given time for the ideas to be plentiful as well as the aircraft types.

One thing to consider is that there are a bunch of large DZs around the country that every weekend can offer most of what WFFC offers, and the rest of what WFFC offers several times a year. Not only that, they also have nicer facilities!

I live less than 90 minutes from Rantoul, but couldn't be bothered to make the trip the last 3 years since there was nothing there that I was interested in that I couldn't get (for less $$$) at my home DZ.

The jump tickets there were not anything out of the ordinary when I went the last time. so....

I live in GA and as far as I know there was not a single tailgate aircraft this year to jump. I do believe those are abundant at WFFC. That isn't the only place of course, but they are there.
It's an 8 hour drive for me, and if I know there is going to be tailgates, beer, a bi plane, and a ton of other skydivers to keep the loads a movin then why not go?

I'm not saying that the tailgates are the only draw. It's nice to stray from the home DZ once and a while.

I kind of think it is sad that skydivers keep trying to bash it and bring it down. I don't go because blah blah blah. I'll tell you what they need to get there this year, and other years, a C 130, balloons, helicopter one that can hold more than 4, like the russians use. Stuff like that.
I know that stuff isn't free though.
I just think skydivers should have the if you build it we will come attitude towards the convention. Not ahhh you built it like that last year, or awhile back, why should I go?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I live in GA and as far as I know there was not a single tailgate aircraft this year to jump.

If you want a tailgate, just cross over the border. Skydive Palatka in Florida has a Sky Van for their annual Hog Flop Boogie. It's next week, November 9th-12th.
--
Andy Ussach
Team Dirty Sanchez Ex-Vice President #38
Explosivo Rodriguez #1385, Muff Brother #3503, "Woody" Hellfish #646

That's all fine and good except when you build it people bitch about the cost. "What do I get for my registration money?" "Are we going to get free T-shirts?" "How about beer?" Why do balloon jumps cost so much?"

I would not even want to know what they would say about the cost of a C-130 jump now that Jet-A costs what it does now. I looked into one once and the ferry fee was 20 grand.

I would not even want to know what they would say about the cost of a C-130 jump now that Jet-A costs what it does now. I looked into one once and the ferry fee was 20 grand.

From where to where?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The aircraft was based down on the Gulf coast but the fee was set no matter where it was. Also a C-130 burns 750 gal hr. and the fuel burn is not that much lass when on the ground, so you would not be able to load with the engines running because of cost. IMO it would take corporate sponsors to pull off a Hurc boogie today and I don't have the know how to do that.

The aircraft was based down on the Gulf coast but the fee was set no matter where it was. Also a C-130 burns 750 gal hr. and the fuel burn is not that much lass when on the ground, so you would not be able to load with the engines running because of cost. IMO it would take corporate sponsors to pull off a Hurc boogie today and I don't have the know how to do that.

Damn... that's expensive. I wonder if Norway or whatever Scandinavian country it is that hosted the Herc boogie still holds it? Granted, things work differently in other countries than they do here... I wonder what they did to defray costs...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I believe all the other Hurc boogies were government subsidized. That aint happening here.I thought about trying to do something at the aircrafts home base but you could never be assured that the aircraft would not be sent away for a bigger money making gig.

Yeah, like one of those black ops things... ;) Our government is so damned selfish. All those fucking neat toys and us lowly civilians can't use them? Bah...