SPY

Bail out in tandem

Yeah I know, another tandem topic, but I'm still a newbie TM and it's winter here so there's plenty of time to think, read and learn.;)

What is your personal/DZ/manufacturer procedure for a bail out when having a passenger? What would be the lowest altitude to exit?

S-P
===========================

1)Engine failure or other controllable aircraft malfunction below 2000 AGL: land with the aircraft
2)Engine failure or other controllable aircraft malfuntion from 2000-4000 AGL exit and deploy the reserve

page 18 from the I.R.M. i'm also assuming aircraft failure being the most probable situation in which you would have to exit earlier than planned.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

1)Engine failure or other controllable aircraft malfunction below 2000 AGL: land with the aircraft
2)Engine failure or other controllable aircraft malfuntion from 2000-4000 AGL exit and deploy the reserve

page 18 from the I.R.M. i'm also assuming aircraft failure being the most probable situation in which you would have to exit earlier than planned.: end quote

Engine failure above 4000' (my normal hook up altitude): toss drogue release handle in back of cabin, exit and toss drogue immediately.
Note: this technique works well on Strongs, but is not recommended on Vectors because Vector drogues are designed differently.

Rob Warner
2200 tandem jumps, mostly on Strong

Engine failure above 4000' (my normal hook up altitude): toss drogue release handle in back of cabin, exit and toss drogue immediately.
Note: this technique works well on Strongs, but is not recommended on Vectors because Vector drogues are designed differently.

And doesn't work at all on Sigmas.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

This doesn't work well on vectors (sigma not included) because the drogue collapses completly when the ripcord is pulled. At sub-terminal this makes for a very long openning. Mike Maguire (mad-dog) once told me the the story of him doing this once. So exit, throw the drogue let it inflate, then pull.
blue skies,

art

Is there some documentation online somewhere that details the specifics as to how a tandem rig operates? I'm trying to understand some stuff that happened here and I'd like to read up on it.

Check out the manufacturer's websites, but the best way is to look at the different rigs, and get a hands on feel for it. Ask a Tandem Instructor to explain it for you.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Check out the manufacturer's websites, but the best way is to look at the different rigs, and get a hands on feel for it. Ask a Tandem Instructor to explain it for you.

...or call the mfg. and ask. They'll be happy to answer questions like that...after all, they know better than anyone!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."