mdrejhon

Rainbow Boogie 2006 - NouvelAir, July 28-31 (50% will be straight!)

Final Rainbow Boogie 2006 reminder!
It's happening this coming next weekend!

When: July 28th - 31st (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon)
Where: NouvelAir in Farnham, Quebec, Canada (near Montreal)
News/Calendar: Click here
Driving Directions: Click here

Over 100 registered to attend, and a lot have given confirmations. I've now confirmed that a few well known people such as Jason Whitt (president of Skydive The Point club!) and Carol Clay (Queen of Skydiving, 15,000 jumps -- she is straight though!!). From our preliminary checks, it looks like 50% of people will be straight. So the boogie's not embarassing to go to, no matter who you are; it's just a bunch of regular skydivers. Don't miss the chance to meet such a wonderful woman...

RW Load organizing by Kirsten Johnson, AFFI of Skydive Spaceland. Yes, a girl! We may be doing 34-ways (multiple plane formation) if enough jumeprs have the experience level to do so. NouvelAir and the plane captains are ready to do so -- provided there's enough skilled jumpers to do so! I did my first 30-way last month (docked 14th), so I'll see if I'll be able to be part of this formation! ;) Also there will be plenty of freefly loads and novice 4-way loads along with the bigways by Kirsten -- I will be jumping with novices 4-way and 8-way too as well, since I want to make sure I jump at least once with most RW capable people at the boogie! NouvelAir and other people have been doing an amazing job helping me organize this boogie -- it has grown bigger than I originally expected 9 months ago!

Location... Just in case you're not familiar, NouvelAir is less than 1 hour from the U.S. border. That makes it only 5 hours from big cities such as Boston!

This thread will also be used to post some photos from the boogie as well. See you there!

Potential fly in the ointment (ugh!)

We're currently stuck in HELL and Hell is called THUNDER BAY. Oh my god, what a dump this shithole is. first place in Canada I can't believe hasn't been burned down just to remove the embarassment. Let this town fall into a hole and disappear!

The reason we're stuck here is our car is somewhat undriveable after a midday road adventure yesterday. Neither we nor the moose was actually injured, but the car got scared and refuses to go.

Oh, the lengths and troubles we'll go to for Mark's dream.

Wish us luck, guys. We'll try to get to Montreal anyway.

Thunder Bay is UGLY!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Every country has their own hellhole. So what. (No offense to the Thunder Bay residents, mind you)

An idea: Demand a loaner car while your car is being repaired.

A more expensive idea: Rent a car while your original car is being repaired in Thunder Bay.

An even more expensive idea: While it's being repaired, fly to Montreal. I can pickup on Thursday at YUL.

A last resort idea: Hotwire a Cessna. ;)

Montreal's worth it!!

Thursday night: Home in Vancouver, BC
Friday night: Camping just outside Hope, BC in a forest clearing
Saturday night: Just outside Calgary, Alberta in a cheap, vile hotel
Sunday: Passing through Saskatchewan as fast as possible.
Sunday night: Winnipeg, Manitoba with some great people
Monday night: Winnipeg again because they're great people
Tuesday afternoon: By the side of the road near Raith, Ontario with our car in the ditch
Tuesday night: In Thunder Bay, Ontario hoping the local garage could fix our car
Wednesday: Several hundred KM of Ontario once the car was fixed.
Wednesday night: Camping just shy of Marathon, Ontario in a clearing
Thursday: More Ontario. There's a LOT of Ontario!
Thursday night: Excellent English pub and average hotel in North Bay, Ontario

And tomorrow: More Ontario, Ottawa, and Montreal!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Rainbow Boogie is underway!

The first attempt at a 34-way succeeded -- everyone docked!

The attempt at a 34-way mixed formation skydive succeded. (It consisted of the entire dropzone 300+ jump experienced bellyflyers). I saw it complete from the ground!

We also tried a 14-person "gayway" world record, but failed. We'll try again tomorrow...

About 40-45 out of the 53 confirmed came. There were about 60 tandems as well, though mostly straight.

Two reporters were here too as well. About half of the non-tandems here aren't here for the Rainbow Boogie.

It's a success!

We managed to set a world record (biggest gayway -- a 10-way) and Kirsten Johnson is getting the paperwork done!!!

About putting pictures on website -- I'm ascertaining photography rights and will be responding to the numerous emails I've gotten this week!

and Kirsten Johnson is getting the paperwork done!!!

Not to burst your bubble, but I dont think the FAI has a category for gays.;)

They wouldn't approve one for the Deaf World Records... (sniff) :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban