ncfitzge

2006 Alaska Summer Solstice Boogie

The boogie was well worth it, even if all you could do was the glacier jump!!! So awesome!

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Did you only do the glacier jump? And how was the pow-wow?

I did do only 1 jump, but was on the glacier for 3 hours (we think they forgot about us). Glacier was well worth the time...

didn't do the pow-wow... was too drunk to figure out where i was going!! :):D:)
You were missed up there, but we had a blast anyway:P

CReW Skies,

Hey Bubbles! It was great meeting you and doing a RW jump...yes folks, she made a RW jump with some bellies.

Love the pic you posted. Send me some from your view. I have some pics to send to you as well and will do this weekend. I have to weed through like 600 of them!

Blue skies,
Kim

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Leonardo daVinci

The exit was from an Otter out of Kapowsin. Exit altitude was 13,500 feet. Our group opened at 6500 just to take in the view. You don't actually land "on" the glacier. You land in the silt bed between 2 glaciers (the Knik Glacier and Colony Glacier) along side a Glacial lake (Lake George). Very surreal.The place is a crossing point for wildlife in the Chugach Mtn range. Bears, moose, and wolves are frequent visitors to the area around the makeshift DZ, although, this year I didn't see any. I still think this jump rivals any jump that you can do for uniqueness, scenery, etc... I'm sure the people that made this jump will testify to that.
Blue Skies,
and Semper Fi's.

The exit was from an Otter out of Kapowsin. Exit altitude was 13,500 feet. Our group opened at 6500 just to take in the view. You don't actually land "on" the glacier. You land in the silt bed between 2 glaciers (the Knik Glacier and Colony Glacier) along side a Glacial lake (Lake George). Very surreal.The place is a crossing point for wildlife in the Chugach Mtn range. Bears, moose, and wolves are frequent visitors to the area around the makeshift DZ, although, this year I didn't see any. I still think this jump rivals any jump that you can do for uniqueness, scenery, etc... I'm sure the people that made this jump will testify to that.
Blue Skies,
and Semper Fi's.

I've jumped out of that same Otter too!!!!!

Thanks for the info...sounded absolutely incredible.

(curious person dropping in)

So, how high did you exit at for the glacier jump, how high did you pull and where did you land (on the glacier itself?)? Thanks.

I did a high altitude hop n pop. And yes not only did I do an RW jump back from the glacier, I had fun! I have approximately 400 pictures to go through of the glacier jump. I have to go through my pics, and will let you guys see them when i get through them all. I have too many of them! They're so great, and the day we went to the otter (friday), the first group (my otter load) we were landing all over the place, but we told the pilot to change jump run for the 2nd otter load. Still so much fun!!!

CReW Skies,

Are there any sort of license requirements to do the glacier jump?

I think it was a B license.

CReW Skies,
bubbles

So my sister and I decided last night to check out the solstice boogie this summer, but then I found they are closed!!
http://www.alaskaskydiving.com/index.html

any word on what this means for the boogie???

Thanks,
Averil

I'm moving up there in a few months, and have the info from the locals! Yes the dropzone closed, i guess they decided to put time into their DZ down in AZ. HOWEVER, the locals are talking about getting a new dz (more info will be known after thanksgiving)...

BUT I hear that the Alaska Summer Solstice BOOGIE WILL STILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!! That's the inside word.... They're hoping to continue it, because it was always a lot of fun, and everyone loves it!!! SO plan on it for next year unless it's just really optimistic that they're being....! :)
CReW Skies,
bubbles

I'll see if i can find anything out for next year, and if anyone out there from AK... fill us in :D:)

CReW SKies,
bubbles

Well, that's good news!! Does anyone have any idea what dates it will be around? I can only find last years.

I'm going to take a wild guess it will be some time around the summer solstice....
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Well, that's good news!! Does anyone have any idea what dates it will be around? I can only find last years.

I'm going to take a wild guess it will be some time around the summer solstice....

good guess :P B| :)