cundair

South Island New Zealand

Good morning,

I am heading to New Zealand this summer, (well more precisely, July), and I'm wondering about DZ's, near Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Invercargill.

I am wondering about license requirements etc...

I'm not sure where any of the many DZ's listed in NZ are relative to each other and the islands..

Any help would be appreciated! I would really like to visit a few
DZ's...

Thanks,

Troy

check out ww.nzpf.org
That will give you a list of all the dz's, you have to pay membership of $75 before you are allowed jump at any dz here.
you've got to remember NZ is a small country(population 4 million) & it'll be the middle of winter so don't expect too much. It's only due to adventure tourism that they have so much skydiving.. but I can recommend Skydive Auckland (located just south of Auckland in a town called Mercer) or Skydive Abel Tasman on the south island near Nelson, they're annual boogie is in August. They would be the the best real dz's here. Never been to Christchurch but they are probably worth a visit too.
Taupo (central North Island)has 3 dz's but they are all tandem operations & fun jumpers are just about tolerated.. worth a jump or 2 for the view but no fun jumping scene really.

However NZ is a great country with lots of stuff to do so you won't be bored :)

Erica

I had a great time at Taupo in 2001. I'm not sure if its still the same, but there were two DZ's on the one airfield, if you couldn't get on a load quickly for one, you walk up and got on a load at the other!!:D

But watch the weather there, its a bit like England at times- rain, rain, rain!
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Things have changed a bit since then.. it's all about work now & there are 3 dz's
This is my 3rd summer here, it's fine for work but not so fun jumper friendly any more.. luckily I get to spend the other have of the year in the most fun jumper friendly dz in the world.... Byron CA :)

Erica pretty much hit it on the head....sport jumping outside of Auckland & Motueka is pretty much non existant :( as all the DZ's are tandem factories. If you have your own gear, definitely bring it as you'll be able to get on loads, but don't expect to do an 8-way RW jump at a tandem factory!

July will be the middle of winter here in NZ, so it will be COLD - bring some thermals and gloves....jumping over Taupo/Wanaka/Queenstown on a clear sunny winters day is Awesome!

Bear in mind that you'll need a minimum of a B licence to jump at Wanaka or Queenstown due to close proximity to mountains. Reserve repack cycle is 6 months in NZ, so if you have your own rig make sure your reserve is in date and bring your licence/log book. An AAD is compulsory at virtually all DZs.

Other than that, get your arse to Mercer near Auckland....we have a Porter & LOTS of sport jumping. Sporties rule the roost up here in Aucks! :)
Russ