saucy_dee

DZ's in California

Morning all

Me and the boyfriend are going travelling shortly and are due to go to California. We want to stop at Perris and Elsinore. We're back-packing so don't want to shell out loads on accomodation. Can you recommend any accomodation near or on these DZ's and maybe any other DZ's in California?

Also, how long does it take to get to these DZ's from the nearest airport?

D

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

Come to SAN DIEGO! You can stay in the bunk house for free! (or for a small charge, I am not sure :) ELSINORE and PERRIS. I think Elsinore and Perris are about 40 minutes from the Ontario International Airport. San Diego is about 2 hours. Of course SD San Diego is about 15 mins form the SD airport. I say visit all 3! Bring beer! (I am assuming these will be 1st's at all 3 DZ's)

JAMES

I can vou8ch for the accomodation at Perris. i stayedin the IHOP for a month solid and it's great. I had originally booked into the bunk house but it was recommended for that long a stay that i should move across.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

As mentioned Perris has both the IHOP and bunkhouse.

Also, since you mentioned back-packing it's worth mentioning that within 10 minutes of Perris is Lake Perris which has a camping ground, some trails, etc. Just something to do when the clouds are visiting :S

Just something to do when the clouds are visiting :S

SoCal has clouds? :P Sorry, i had to, when i was there during summer last year i didn't see one. It was so strangegoing up to WFFC and seeing them again :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I have stayed in the bunkhouse at Elsi. . .its $7 a night there. . .Perris bunkhouse is okay but I hear the IHOP is a better choice, though I have never been in there. . .San Diego also has a bunkhouse

So there you go, 3 DZs all with bunkhouses, all within an hour's drive of each other. . .all come fully equipped with turbine aircraft.
FGF #6
Darcy

I just flew into San Diego today (10 Jun, Fri) and I'm here till the 27th, if any of my friends I've met are around town. Hopefully this "June gloom" will disappear. I'd like to make the rounds to Perris, Elsinore, and SD San Diego if possible while I'm here.

Send me a shout out if anyone is lurking out there, or just to say hi. I've heard back from Rosa so far.

Ciao
Guido

~How do you know where the line is
if you never crossed it?~ unk.

I've recently returned from a road trip. Here's my thoughts on some of the DZ's mentioned and the accomodations.

Elsinore: didn't jump there on this trip, haven't seen their accomodations. Visited in February and the people there rock.

Perris: I'd agree with IHOP over the bunkhouse. Also has camping space with showers you can use if budget is really a concern. The thing that I didn't like about the bunkhouse was the lack of windows/air circulation in the rooms, but if that doesn't bother you it might be quite comfortable. I've heard of folks (hi, B2) who actually like the "cocoon" effect. I stayed in the IHOP for three nights and found it quite comfortable.

Lodi: Camping is easy (put in earplugs and the highway becomes a nice quite hum) and the shower/laundry facilities are good. Good restaurant right on the airport property.

Enjoy your trip!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Send me a shout out if anyone is lurking out there, or just to say hi. I've heard back from Rosa so far.

Thanks for letting me know that you were here, Guido! We've flown together in Sebastian, but outside of the flying and dirt diving, we didn't really have a chance to talk too much. Now, we can hang out with friends tomorrow night in the Bombshelter. :)
I recommend that you visit all 3 DZs that you mentioned. Elsinore has a small DZ "family" quality, but it is a bigger DZ with lots of fun camps and activities, including the Poker Run on the 18th. You should try to be a part of that event. Great jumpers/teams from both Perris and Elsinore will be participating, but it's also bound to be fun/easy-going! (Visit the Skydive Elsinore website, if you'd like to meet more regulars!)

Perris also has so much to offer...most anything that any skydiver needs, including the wind tunnel! There is always something exciting happening at Perris, and people from all over visit this DZ. It's amazing.

Both of those DZs have good quality jumpers to fly with. Both DZ's competition jumpers and students use Perris' tunnel to train and develop their flying skills. The two DZs are 20 minutes from each other. I can show/explain to you the back (fast) way to Elsinore from Perris, when I see you.

SD San Diego has beautiful scenery and nice people, although you would probably enjoy it more if you freefly. It's very laid back and low-key, which some people really love. The DZ has recently redone its bunkhouse, etc. Btw, Perris and Elsinore also have bunkhouses/IHOP, but either way, those DZs are only 1 hour from San Diego. You'll love visiting all that SoCal has to offer. :)