Skylark

Pilot chute inflating under arm

How common is this and what would actually happen to the opening sequence if it occured? What I'm talking about is when you throw-out your pilot chute and you throw it out too far forward rather than out at 90 degrees to your body, and it bites air in front of your arm. Does this make sense?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

while I'm not an expert by any means, and have never had this happen to me. I have heard about it. It seems not common, but does happen from time to time, with a bad position deployment. I think what you should do is to clear the PC from your arm and let it extend into the air above you. Don't quote me on this, and I would like someone else to back this up, but if the PC is caught in your burble, or under your arm, effectively hindering it from floating the length of its bridle, the main will stay in the D-bag, unreleased. That PC needs to not only come out, but fly up and pull a pin causing the release of the main parachute.

Again, lets wait for some more experienced folks to tell us whats up, but by my reckoning clearing the trapped PC is your first course of action. The next would be to work on body position at deployment, it seems to me sloppy body position is the culprit of most malfunctions. If this keeps happening to you, get someone to shoot a couple videos of you deploying and have someone experienced critique you.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

It can happen from throwing it forward, but also from not keeping your palm facing up. Think of 'pull & release' instead of 'throw'. Throwing just isn't needed, getting it out at arm's length is what matters.

If you rotate your wrist after pulling the PC, it is much more likely to happen

It has happened about 3 times to me. The key is to realize it and flip your arm around quickly to clear it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

it happened to me once on a hop and pop.it was no big deal. it started to deploy under my arm but as it came through it forced my arm around and managed to open quite nicely. scary for a second but it really wasn't as bad as you would think.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

This is what I believe I know about pilot chutes.
My experience comes from 500+ jumps ( which means nothing cause I can not usually see the PC)
and over 1000 IAD's ( where I can clearly see the
PC in action). I was taught both in using a toss out
and when performing IAD's to through the PC with
force. I think this is utter bull shit. The PC does not
weight enough to through it anywhere in a 120mph
wind( or even at 80mph doing IAD's). I truly believe
pilot chutes should be placed. That is, place the PC
in clean air away from your body. If you are falling
ass over tin kettle when you pull you could impede
the deployment...but if the PC finds clean air, you
will be at line stretch soon! If like you say it gets in
front of you arm expect some bruises from the D-bag and be ready for the possibility of a mal of some kind( although it would be rare). I have had one lazy pull ( on a pull out) where the PC ended up
on my back between my shoulder blades...I looked
back to see why I was not getting a parachute ( at 2000') and broke the burble ( check '000) PC then
did it's job in a flash. There is a possibility of getting
a toss out PC in clean air and it not do it's job( have seen this once). The PC itself can mal...if the bridle takes
a half hitch around the hacky and holds the PC upside down( that sucks!).
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

:)and when performing IAD's to through the PC with
force. I think this is utter bull shit.

See next Quote.

I have had one lazy pull ( on a pull out) where the PC ended up
back to see why I was not getting a parachute ( at 2000') and broke the burble ( check '000) PC then
did it's job in a flash.

That is why we teach to be aggressive and throw the pilot chute into clean air. Yes the relative wind will take it directly off you hand but you are now at full arm extension. Nuff said.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

:)and when performing IAD's to through the PC with
force. I think this is utter bull shit.

See next Quote.

I have had one lazy pull ( on a pull out) where the PC ended up
did it's job in a flash.

That is why we teach to be aggressive and throw the pilot chute into clean air. Yes the relative wind will take it directly off you hand but you are now at full arm extension. Nuff said.

Blues,

J.E.

Fair enough!
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.