isabelle

deland

I am staying at Perris/Elsinore but thinking about moving to Deland....
What about the DZ? Is it a friendly place to be staying? What about night life?also important after jumping.....
Some people recommemded me to go to Sebastian as the place would be more friendly...Is it far from Deland?
Thanks

You'll get mixed reviews about Deland. As far as the DZ goes, the facilities are nice, good landing area nice resturant and this time of year its usually pretty busy.

There are a few other DZ's in the area you may consider visiting, Titusville is about 50 minutes away, Sebastian is about 2 hours away, lake wales, and Zhills are both within a couple of hours away. Palatka is close and Skydive Jacksonville is "supposed" to be repoening soon.

I would check out the list of DZ's in the area and see which one fits you best.

When you're considered a local, I think Deland is a very friendly place to be for sure. I certainly love calling it home. There is a real family atmosphere there and everyone looks out for one another.

If a nightlife is important to you, you may want to go elsewhere. You can't find a better restaurant at a dz in FL with great food and a large beer selection, but most people do start heading home or to other places around 9ish or so. On the other hand, it's very close to Daytona Beach where you can always find people partying at the bars out there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

When you're considered a local, I think Deland is a very friendly place to be for sure. I certainly love calling it home. There is a real family atmosphere there and everyone looks out for one another.

If a nightlife is important to you, you may want to go elsewhere. You can't find a better restaurant at a dz in FL with great food and a large beer selection, but most people do start heading home or to other places around 9ish or so. On the other hand, it's very close to Daytona Beach where you can always find people partying at the bars out there.

I don't call myself a "local" (however I DID spend much of my 9 months of unemployment there)..and I think Deland is AWESOME! I love it there and always look forward to jumping there.:)

You'll get mixed reviews about Deland.

Definately.........because there is a lot of "serious" skydiving going on there. Teams training, test jumping, coaching courses, etc etc etc. I have found that the parties don't really happen there unless the weather is going to be crappy the next day. :D If you want to work in skydiving there is no better place to be. Lots of great people and almost all the big manufacturers are within walking distance. I have spent quite a few days in the last couple months there. I have enjoyed it except that most of the days have been week days. Most of the people I know there are working and it can be tough to find people to jump with.........because most of the people that are jumping are doing "work" jumps. Not that many fun jumpers during the week. You can't beat the facilities and the planes are nice. Unlike a lot of DZ's you are practically "In Town" so that's nice. Downtown Deland has some nice restaurants and a couple bars to go out to. Only about 10 minutes or less away. You also can't beat the caliber of jumpers you will run into. You just have to get used to the "Winter in Florida" phenomenon. Crazy people from the north that show up uncurrent and do crazy things. :D That drives a lot of the "attitudes" that I see........and I can't say I blame them because the more I'm around the more I get that attitude too. I would say it's pretty much THE place to be if you want to be involved in the skydiving industry. If you just want fun jumps and a more relaxed attitude.......I'd say Z Hills, Titusville, or Sebastian maybe.

I would say it's pretty much THE place to be if you want to be involved in the skydiving industry

That's also my theory on why there isn't a big party atmosphere there every night. So many of the locals work in the industry there and who wants to hang out at their workplace after hours all the time? You have to get away from it sometime! Also, since it is in the middle of town, people just go home. It's not like the dz's that are in the boonies that people have to drive a couple of miles to so they end up camping out all weekend long and have nothing else to do but hang out.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon