Push

Stupid question about AADs

This may be a dumb question, but you know what they say about dumb questions around here. If I want to buy a CYPRES 2, do I need to get the battery+cutter set, or does it come with the unit? Is there anything I need to know/do before I stick it in my rig? (aside from how to use and maintain it, how it works and what added dangers it presents)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Contact the maker or US supplier at SSK [email protected]
Expect to get really informed with consistent information through them...........anything else will not suit your purpose or the circumstances that you feel are important to you......

Upon learning what you need to know, perhaps you will become a mentor to others that follow......

Cheers mate,
BUDDHA

It comes complete, and your rigger will stick it in your rig.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks, that's what I meant. I'm not touching the reserve tray with a 10 foot pole;)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Thanks, that's what I meant. I'm not touching the reserve tray with a 10 foot pole;)

It's your reserve tray! Touch it!

Pull your handles to open the rig, then watch your rigger as he installs the Cypres, inspects your rig, and then repacks the reserve. Heck, if you have a good rigger he will probably even let you install the Cypres under his supervision, if you like.

Be part of the process and learn about your gear.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Ok, I'm being misunderstood. I watched my gear being assembled and my reserve repacked. I'm trying to learn everything I can about my gear. I'm not scared of it, and I will definitely watch the rigger install the CYPRES. But I will not open the reserve tray myself unless I'm having a malfunction.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Already did when it was first repacked. Since the cutaway needs service I'll pull both handles this time. It was very educational, actually. The pull required more force than I expected.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

>If I want to buy a CYPRES 2, do I need to get the battery+cutter
>set, or does it come with the unit?

I just got a Cypres 2. Like the original Cypres, it comes assembled with battery, cutter and control unit in a sealed plastic bag. (Also comes with a little fanny pack which I immediately gave to Betsy.)

The water jump capability is a big advantage, since I was hoping to check those out some day. I'll be ordering mine from Square One this weekend. Not that I really need something to pull for me, but one can never have enough backup in this sport.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

The required pull force on the cutaway handle will be more than you experienced on the ground, if perchance you are in a spin on your back with line twists. It MAY take 2 hands.

Just my .02.

Edited to say that, when it comes to this stuff, there are no stupid questions. You will know more than some others because you did some research.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

At repack time I like to suspend my own rig via the risers, and go through reserve procedures and some different scenairoes with individuals (riggers, st&a, inst.,... anyone who wants to play!!) throwing different hypothetical situations at me. This can be fun for everyone ... not to mention educational for the group as a whole.

As per you cypress questions. Ask your rigger. If he doesn't know I am sure he will find out and inform you about the new cypress 2. If he doesn't do this ... find another more professional rigger to deal with. As mentioned above, there is always the manufactures website.

Jump Safe

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

I did the first 3 ring maintenance on my beer rig today and practice pulled the cutaway. Already I noticed something educational - the cable is not that easy to clear. Is that why you're supposed to throw away the cutaway handle? To clear the cable?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Is that why you're supposed to throw away the cutaway handle?

Why would you do that? That costs money!

If you're worried about the length of the cable, go to your rigger and show her/him. If it is too long, he/she can trim it properly for you. If its not, they can tell you so.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>the cable is not that easy to clear. Is that why you're supposed to
> throw away the cutaway handle? To clear the cable?

Students are taught to throw away the handle to ensure they have released both risers; if you just pull it until you feel something happen, only one riser may release. For experienced jumpers, just pull until both risers release. This should be before full arm extension unless you have short arms and are jumping a big rig.

(AD sez)
>If you're worried about the length of the cable, go to your rigger and
>show her/him.

Note that on many rigs, the risers are designed to not release at the same time; the RSL riser is designed to release last. Your rigger should be able to point this out (as AD mentioned.)

Dave, I'm not really worried about the length of the cable as both risers release well before full arm extension, but those cables flapping in the wind may not be the best idea. I'll just jot down another note to talk to my rigger about, as well as what billvon said.

Thanks everyone. Just goes to show that no question is too dumb.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo