op5e

Ramblers - Learning Curve Camp (March)

Hi all,

I am planning on going up to Ramblers for the Learning Curve camp in March (crossing finger legs healed by then). Has anyone gone to this before? I have 27 jumps and hope to get 3-4 in at my home DZ to get my currency back before I jump in a new place. My goal is to convert to a sports rig, finish my B-Rels, get my starcrest and get my B license.

http://www.ramblers.com.au/whatson/learningcurve_about.aspx

Has anyone been to more than one learners camp (ie. picton, nagambie ABC or ramblers learning curve) and recommend one over the other?

YUP they're great Suzy and Luke run them very well, they'll ask you what it is you hope to gain from the camp & then focus on you getting there:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks for your input Squeak. Did you go on to this camp? Have you been on any of the ones at other dropzone? I have one friend that raves about the ramblers learning curve so that is why I figured I would go to that one.

I have just decided I will probably aim for the may learning curve camp as my leg is not healing as well as it should. Will give me a chance to transistion to the non-student canopies and I am not trying to rush myself to recover. Yay for me.

Squeak (or anyone else) have you travelled with Qantas or Virgin Blue and taken your rig carry on? Do you normally just take the rig and put the rest of your gear under (helmet etc..) or do you carry on your gear bag?

I attended the Rambler's learning curve camps couple of times. They really helped me progress a lot !
The staff is really nice, instructors brilliant and you get to meet other people at the same level as yourself. I truly recommend them!
And of course, you cannot avoid having a great time at Ramblers !!

I have finally bit the bullet and booked my slot on the learning curve camp in September. I will also be going to the ABC in October. Not having jumped my rig before (or pro packed), how many jumps should I expect to do each day (ie how much do I have to save). Is there a minimum number that I should aim at doing to make it worth my wild (ie 3 a day etc..)

Plan on camping it in a tent at both places (will have a car). How are the facilities for Tents at Ramblers?

If anyone needs a lift in september from brisbane to ramblers, or in october from canberra to nagambie for the ABC give me a PM.

I am attending a packer b course at nagambie in two weeks time. I hope to do my recurrency and conversion to my new rig at Nowra. Then I hope to do my B-rels the following week. So hopefully I will be in a position that I can take advantage of the learning curve and not be too unsafe (from not jumping for 8 months).

Dan,

1. Aim for 4 to 6 jumps a day.
2. I've flown Virgin with a rig as carry-on cabin luggage - with the rig in a non-descript gear bag. It's the X-ray guys as you enter the departure area that will either make or spoil your day. Have a cypres card available for them to look at. The (many) times I've taken it hand luggage, they have not been a bit interested in the gear. But my rigging-kit bag uaually causes questions, with all of its cables, spare cypres cutters, seals, etc.
3. Rather than a tent at Ramblers, why not book a bunk? Less to carry!

Blue Skies,

fergs