Quasimodem

GA. Divers: When Is It Too COld For You To Jump?

Because I only got started this past June, I have never really made a cold-weather jump, but I am asking because my local Humane Society waould like to arrange a "benefit jump" with one of our local DZ's, and because there are few "open" weekends left, they were wondering if they could get an estimate as to the latest possible time here in Georgia one could jump without freezing one's ass off.

So what's been your experience, on the average?

I realize there's a 30 day currency rule for experienced divers, but it is hoped to get some new birds into the flock with this promotion.

Located in West Georgia (Cedartown/Rockmart area)

Thanks

Q

I jump at Cross Keys all year. With a little special gear, I've found it very tolerable. A full face helmut is a must, along with GOOD gloves. I use winter golf gloves (Footjoy $20 a pair), along with glove liners. I can still feel my handles and have been to -30 F at altitude. If you treat your goggles and or helmut with anti fog spray, breath through your mouth throughout the dive, you shouldn't have much trouble. Lastly a heated packing area helps alot.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

How bad do you want it? It never gets too cold for me. Brass balls here my friend!

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I jump at Cross Keys all year. With a little special gear, I've found it very tolerable. A full face helmet is a must, along with GOOD gloves. I use winter golf gloves (Footjoy $20 a pair), along with glove liners. I can still feel my handles and have been to -30 F at altitude. If you treat your goggles and or helmet with anti fog spray, breath through your mouth throughout the dive, you shouldn't have much trouble. Lastly a heated packing area helps a lot.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

The weather in Georgia generally stays warm enough for the fair-weather jumpers through the end of November.

So anytime till December is safe...we still jump when it's frickin' cold...just have to break out the thermals, gloves and stay warm inside ASC's heated building until its time to goto the plane...and then run back inside after swooping the frozen pond!

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Having been a student in upstate New York during the winter, I haven't had much of a problem jumping in Georgia winters. The problem is finding enough people to get the plane off the ground. After arriving in the middle of the afternoon, everyone who's not a cold-weather pussy has already made a jump or two and doesn't feel like putting themselves through that ordeal again, at least not today...

Thanks for all the answers! We (The Humane Society and me) have decided to wait until Spring to do this in order to give ourselves more time to co-ordinate and work out logistics, but I have another question for the group:

Has anyone ever co-ordinated a Benefit Sky-Dive and how receptive are the DZ's to doing this?

Thanks!

Bluies

Quas'