hsaddler

260-170 in 30 jumps?

To each their own, some push the envelope sooner than others, or better way to put it is everyones envelope is different. Some find an innate ability and affinity when it comes to canopies, others do not care for that side of skydiving. I did not feel like I was pushing my skills and ability past the edge, I load a Nitron 120 at about 1.6 at 1.30 jumps. To me it just felt like that was where I was supposed to be. I learned some lesson about judging altitudes on cloudy days (changes depth perception) and when too low is too low. 200 Jumps later I moved to my current canopy a Velocity 103. It is the sweetest canopy I have ever been under and its characteristics for my style is what I was looking for.

Is that wingloading acceptable and ok for everyone, far from it. Is it possible to maim and kill, yeah it is, you have to be responsible about your actions. You also have to constantly be making smart descisions from deployment to ground, the few jumps that I expirenced more on auto pilot while not unsafe, could have been better and should have had more focus, but everyone has those jumps, but we try to limit them or eliminate them.

Accept the challenges head on, learn all you can, stay smart. Don't let complacency over power you.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Jimbo is absolutely right! Why? Because your instructors have a fair assessment of your canopy and landing skills. Keep your ego (and that of others) out of your downsizing decision making process and you'll live to skydive a very long time. And that's what it's really all about: Making a skydive, having fun, being safe, and walking (that's walking) off the landing area to manifest and jump again!! :)
Attitude is everything!

THANK YOU for printing this! I have a friend who is determined to downsize and those of us around him/her strongly advised against it. All of our best advice, AFF instructors included, has been kicked aside. We fear this person is going to be seriously injured or worse...ego clouding judgment.
This sport is unforgiving of mistakes. Oh, you might get away with a few, but eventually it will bite you big time. You can't just pull over to the side of the road if something goes wrong...
Attitude is everything!

I load my wing at 1.2

When I bought it I loaded it at 1.1 ...too many pies ;)

At 270 jumps I can say I've landed crosswind and downwind in calm, high and turbulent winds. I've landed on uphill and downhill slopes. Not to mention very small landing areas. I am pretty confident in my ability to fly my wing... but no other wing regardless of wing loading.

50 jumps ago I jumped a Diablo twice loading it at 1.3 Let me tell you that it wasn't interested in making friends right away. After getting it flying straight, which was a bitch, I was too scared to try anything more than fly directly back to the landing area with an occasional turn to test out its performance. Lets not forget about the flare. Set up on a long final and was very afraid to do anything more then fly it straight being that low. I jumped it a 2nd time having better knowledge of how bad my body position was during opening the first jump. I enjoyed its performance a hell of a lot but I would never want to jump it in less then favorable conditions because I knew if I didn't treat this wing right it would show me who was boss. Had I gotten in a spot...I woulda been screwed.

I know I can handle the Diablo in under good conditions but....
A)What if I ended up low over town with no good choice for a landing area? B)What if the wind direction changed? C)What if someone cut me off? What if the powers that be chose D) All the above?

There are a lot of "what ifs" and that scares the
$#!% outta me.:ph34r:

Jason
www.FourWheelerHB.com

just thought this thread would be a good read for those who want to downsize really fast. [/url] http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=513057;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;[url]

Edited to say: how do you make it clicky?

I have been jumping 1.1 since jump 25, and was only .9 from jump 8ish to 20. I dont plan on downsizing again till I can fly my canopy at a level that would make the golden nights proud.

Have your fun in freefall, and land safe to jump again is my philosophy.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

I've seen a jumper downsized from her Navigator 260 to Skymaster 200, Hornet 190, Hornet 170, Sabre 150 to her current Sabre 135, and she has less than 50 jumps.

But that's because she weighs only 123lbs out the door and takes too much time floating in the air!;) I've seen her do soft landings most of the time and the S&TA cleared her.

Speed kills! So does everything else...