CanuckInUSA

Jumping in southern CA this time of year

I was thinking of heading out to Perris Valley to do some canopy control training in the near term future, but I was wondering if southern CA is still NOT the best place to be this time of year (thermals, dust devils, thunderstorms and all that other fun stuff which goes with a hot climate). So I'm not sure if my money would be best spent if I have to stop jumping at noon or whenever it is that Mother Nature yields her ugly face. Thoughts and opinions anyone?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Come out, come out. I made 9 jumps this weekend and did not have to sit out for winds once this weekend. We certainly get those things at times, but the past two weekends it has not affected me at all. We also had some guys out from Skydive Santa Rosa who jumped all day. Lots of fun. . .

The weather is hot to be sure, but its good jumping. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I cannot speak for Perris, but I did not have any real problems at Elsinore. The winds usually kick up around noon, when they switch direction (in my memory). Either plan to do it early, or plan to do it late, as they die down when it is windy.

Good luck!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

my schedule at perris has recently been:

arrive in the morning, jump til about noon.

sit my butt down and watch all the dust devils roll on through.

get up and jump again at around 4. there's light til around 7:30, so there's a lot of jump time, and its kinda nice to have a bit of a siesta in the middle of the day. Too damn hot to be packing then anyway. :P. Plenty of time to get in 4-5 jumps easy.

Check out Skydive San Diego, Wyat and Brett of Team Evolution jump there and there are no worries of dust devils or thermals. They have a canopy course if your intrerested.
Winds are out of the west always and you have the best view as well.

Tickets are $15 for the summer ($5 -$6 cheaper than Perris and Elsinore) and it is generally 5-10 degrees cooler since we are close to a large body of water and not located in the valley.

I like Perris and Elsinore it's just too hot this time of year and too far to drive for higher jump prices.

In two weeks there will be a boogie there where $179 pays for the three days of jumping or $99 a day if you only want to be there for a day or so...
There is super otter and a caravan, also helicopter jumps for $35...

Pretty neat for such a small place...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I must agree as well! Skydive San Diego is definitely the place to be right now! Much cooler than Elisnore/Perris, much cheaper, consistent winds, and a great local vibe. However, I won't be able to get time off until perhaps Sept./Oct. Of course, The Mav is always welcome to stay at the Phattie J.'s! B|