Peej

Advice on how and where to spend time and jump money in the USA…(Long)

OK, let me start this with a little background…I currently have just over 100 jumps which I’ve logged in the last year. 80 of them (mostly 2 and 3 ways) have been Freefly focusing on getting a solid sit and a few have been a taste of head down. I currently jump a Mirage G3 with a 170 Hornet/150 Tempo reserve. I’ve started doing straight in double front riser landings and a couple left and right 90 degree riser turns to double front landings.

Here's my dilemma.

I’m planning on flying to the US on the 2nd of July and returning to SA at the end of August. I have the cash to do at least 100 skydives, a canopy control course and a tunnel camp. I had my heart set on Deland as a friend of mine has just come back from a month there and said it was super cool. Then I read Jerry81’s post and the advice from some Florida locals about the weather between July and September.

What I need to know is should I do Deland or Perris? Is the weather more reliable in Cali this time of year? Do the Drop Zones offer accomodation? And how should I spend the cash?

Am I at the right level of canopy flight that I can consider Scott Miller’s advanced canopy control course? And should I get to a DZ, do the canopy course and a bunch of jumps focusing on getting my sit even more sorted and then use my tunnel time to begin learning HD? Or should I get there, do the canopy course and the jumps and use the tunnel time to perfect my sit even further? And what tunnel camps should I consider? PLEASE HELP, I need some advice! And lastly, I’ve heard that the requirements for Bird Man in the USA are 200 current jumps, will I qualify for some BMI instruction by the end of my trip?

Feel free to correct my newbie perceptions/set me straight. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Blue skies
PJ

ps. I chose General Skydiving discussion cos i wasn't sure which forum to stick this in to get the best advice seeing as though it relates to at least three disciplines of skydiving. If the mods feel it's better suited elsewhere please let me know.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Can only comment on Perris as thats the only place in the US I've jumped.

It will fulfill all of your requirements and more. Everything you mention in your post is there on the actual DZ. Tunnel, Jim Slaton's canopy school, tunnel camps, BMI's, FF coaching with the Flyboyz. They may even have the jet running by the end of the hol if you're lucky. They also have great accom on the DZ and balloons 100yrds away if you want a novelty jump.

I guess the same will be said about Deland. Probably elsewhere too. I can only help to the extent of confirming Perris will be perfect... but like I said, elswhere might also be.

I would suggest looking for Boogies.. travel from one to another all around the Northern tier of the US.

Cross Keys in New Jersey....
Skydive Chicago.
Lost Prairie in Montana.. where you can jump your butt off all week long .. with some epic parties.. then go back to Rantoul IL for WFFC... the BirdPeople will be at both of those. Each one is a week long and LP ends on a Monday and Rantoul starts that following Friday with various people driving from one to another.

Unless you LOVE mosquitos and HOT and REALLLY MUGGY weather PASS on FL in July and Aug. The midwest is also HOTand MUGGY and depending on weather fronts moving thru you can be sitting a few days out on the ground while thunderstorms move thru.

CA will be warm but dry as is Oregon and Washington and Montana. It almost NEVER rains in the west of the country in July and August. The Tunnel in Perris is probably a better bet for tunnel time then.
I know people who did the tunnel in Orlando with rain and bugs being sucked in from outside ..( got wipers on your full face?) oh what fun.

Perris has accommodations.. Most DZ allow camping when big events are going on.....make a plan of where and when you want to be somewhere.. and then check out their websites...

BUT you have to get to Lost Prairie and to WFFC..those alone should let you blow all the money you want to.

First week 4th of July weekend in New Jersey lots of other stuff there for the next week as well

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/calendar/display.cgi?action=detail&EventNumber=11766

Lost Prairie Boogie

http://www.skydivelostprairie.com/pages/events.htm
Rocky Mountain Birdman School

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/calendar/display.cgi?action=detail&EventNumber=11823

WFFC

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/calendar/display.cgi?action=detail&EventNumber=11892

Hey PJ,

I know you're leaving the nest and don't want to hear from your old AFF I, (;)) but you've got good advice so far. Skip Florida. Go to Perris, tunnel, canopy control course, freefly coaching. Then off to LP, then Rantoul. After the WFFC people are going EVERYWHERE, and you'll find a DZ to hang out at for the last 2 weeks. If not, there's always SC and Hinckley just around the corner, and an internal connecting flight out will be easy to organise.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Thank you mr2mk1g and Amazon!

That's some awesome and fantastic advice from both of you!

If anyone else has anything to add, please do!

t, i might be leaving the nest but your advice will always be welcome and always has and always will be stuck firmly in my head! Was hoping to see you out at the DZ this wknd to ask your opinion :)
fly free all
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky