andy2

sewing the chest strap permanently routed

Maybe this idea has been thought of before (probably:P). But would it be too hard to sew the END of the chest strap to the point where the chest strap originally connects, permanently routed. That way when you put on your rig, youd pick it up, slip your head under the chest strap, put on the rig, then you'd have to step into the leg straps standing up. Then tighten the chest strap to where you like it, s fold the excess chest strap, and lock it down.

The only problem I see is that getting on your rig would be a little more awkward at first, especially if you cant get into your leg straps with the rig on your back, standing up (read not flexible!).

What do you think? Is there an inherent problem I am not realizing here?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

yeah ok, I thought of that a few moments after posting :o. I guess that would kind of make this not feasible.

let my inspiration flow,

Actually a much more radical form of that design was nearly implimented or shall I say, thested. The harness was far from conventional. It was pretty cool.

You're not too far off.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

yeah! Thats actually what got me thinking about it. Some dude had leg straps that came off completely, and I was like well, if those are open, then you might as well close off the other loop, the chest strap. Now that everyone's been talking about chest straps lately it got me thinking.

Hookit, was that a manufacturer testing what you are talking about or was it just some random dude? (maybe theres not much difference between the two with some manufacturers!!! :ph34r:)

let my inspiration flow,

>Its not a good idea... if it was it would be a common mod.

Doesn't mean it's bad. The Skyhook, airlocked canopies, the Collins Lanyard - those aren't that common, and none of them is a bad idea (in my opinion.)

As an alternative suggestion, why not just leave the chest strap threaded the normal way, get a bunch of rubber bands to keep it there, and then just never unroute it? Same result and no mods to the gear needed.

what if you have a water landing and need to quickly get out of your rig?

You can always trade off (or balance considerations for) one perceived risk vs. another. We do it every day! How much more likely is it (to you) for one risk over the other to occur? Which one do you want to feel more prepared for? ---Just some (devils advocate type) thoughts.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

What if the chest strap had a B-12? You would never completely un thread the the friction lock and if it wasn't hooked therre would be nothing across the chest to see. And you should feel the B-12 bouncing on your leg or something. Not that I'm looking to change anything . The chest strap just needs to be checked for proper routing and all will be well as is.

--TB
Welcome my friends to the show that never ends.

Never said it was a "bad" idea.

Now the idea of some sort of B-12 snap on a chest strap ain't a bad idea either, it would probably be easier than unthreading your chest strap in the event of unintentional water landing. That is if the end of your chest strap if folded over and tacked to prevent it inadvertently coming completely undone thru the hardware.

But if those were truly "good" ideas they would probably already be common.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

The idea of some sort of B-12 snap on a chest strap ain't a bad idea either ...
[If this were a truly "good" idea, it] would probably already be common.

(Showing my age...)
I can remember when snaps (B-12s or quick-ejects) were the standard way to hook up leg straps and chest straps. That was acceptable because, after all, folks used similar snaps to connect their reserves to their harnesses. (Great idea! If you had a malfunction and used your reserve, you could just borrow someone elses to snap to your harness, and continue jumping!) Who was it posting here recently about wanting to jump a Stylemaster?

Mark

>Now the idea of some sort of B-12 snap on a chest strap ain't a bad
>idea either, it would probably be easier than unthreading your chest
>strap in the event of unintentional water landing.

They used to be common. They actually used quick ejectors instead of B-12's. You can release those in seconds.

>But if those were truly "good" ideas they would probably already be common.

They work well but are heavy, ugly and uncool. Cool sells.