Quagmirian

Australian Parachute Federation - "Cutaway"

IMO, getting some of those videos of actual mals took some real balls! I mean, who would actually volunteer to be the subject demonstrating how to fire your reserve into an actual horseshoe and into a PCIT?(Quote)

I had trouble finding all the episodes together, so went direct to the APF website and hit their link. Got all the vids, continuously and in sequence. EXCELLENT series, the best I've ever seen !

As for the PCIT and the horseshoe, you couldn't pay me enough to do either one, not even with a second reserve on my chest. Yeah, the guy's a champion and an expert, but those things could kill him just as dead. The guy's got some ice cold nerve and dedication. My hat is off to him.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Quagmirian

I don't know if this has already been posted, but it's only been up for two weeks.

Video Playlist

It's a nice video series that covers all malfunction scenarios. I don't know if this is a new series that's just been made or whether it's been around for ages and just uploaded recently. Maybe someone form Oz can help us out?

I just discovered these.. I love it! Gotta like them Australians!
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

lol yeah!
I imagine that since these vids are geared towards FJC, they keep it simple.... cut and reserve. My AFFI told us that if we have altitude, you can attempt to pull the now cut risers free, then us the reserves... assuming you don't have a RSL system going on. Since RSL is mandatory for all student rigs here, I don't think that is much of an option, though.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

lol yeah!
I imagine that since these vids are geared towards FJC, they keep it simple.... cut and reserve. My AFFI told us that if we have altitude, you can attempt to pull the now cut risers free, then us the reserves... assuming you don't have a RSL system going on. Since RSL is mandatory for all student rigs here, I don't think that is much of an option, though.

Why? Pull the non-RSL riser free, first. Then pull the RSL riser free.

NorrinRadd

lol yeah!

BTW - I think you'll find that this is almost universally seen as poor advice (especially over the internet).

Cutaway and then pull reserve, don't plan on in air rigging. With proper maintenance I think 3 rings do their job and release under load. If you are at terminal and start messing around 'clearing' risers it is a waste of altitude.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.