gerv

IC2?????

Here in the UK I am hearing rumours of a BPA IC2 qualification. Has anyone else heard that rumour.
If so whats it going to entail. I have heard that it is going to be in the 200-400 jump range and involve canopy control. Its in line with a move to update the IC1????
cheers,
g
(PRV)

Yup,you're right IC2 is being talked about.Probably no bad thing either,but as to what i'll consist of assuming it comes into force is anybodies guess...
Personally i would rather see the increased availability of good well run canopy control classes & i think Chris lynch has gone a long way to address this problem.Education is the key.
BTW low turns arn't evil.Too low turns like the ones initiated in panic due to lack of canopy flying skills are.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

There has indeed been some talk about it along with max wingloadings for licenses. The actual skills needed to be shown will probably be contentious however, as is the wingloading levels for many people.

The BPA IC1 qualification at the moment has a lot of its skills not directly involved with canopy flight, which can be a little confusing.

From the BPA Website

The individual who has demonstrated the ability to:
a.  Control the canopy using the risers
b.  Achieve five consecutive, pre-determined landings within 10m of a target
c.  Spot from at least 10,000ft AGL
The Parachutist must also have received the following from an instructor:
a.  A formal brief on the duties of a jump master, including an introduction to the BPA Operations Manual
b.  A formal brief on parachuting equipment including packing methods, maintenance and flight line checking

Perhaps the IC2 will have more actual canopy flight skills associated with it

Tom

PS: Hello Gerv mate coming to Hin at the Weekend? Want to Jump?