Snowbird

Multiple rigs

A question for Those who Know from this newbie...
Just something I've wondered about a few times.

In Talkback, Deuce talks about how his muscle memory from the 170 doesn't apply to his new 150. Obviously when downsizing there's a lot of re-training your habits and muscle memory to the newer smaller main.

Now, I know people with two or three rigs that they jump all the time. So if you have more than one rig and jump all of them regularly - not just while downsizing - what kind of consideration should be given to having different sizes/styles/systems? Is it best to have very similar kits, so that you aren't having to constantly switch how you fly, at the risk of reacting incorrectly?

BTW, I'm thinking of this for lower # jumpers, not 1000 jump skygods;)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

BTW, I'm thinking of this for lower # jumpers, not 1000 jump skygods

Hey, 1,000 jumps isn't all that many.

I have two rigs that are almost identical except for the containers. My first rig is a Reflex and the second is a Javelin. Both have the exact same size reserve and both have the exact same size and model of main. Both are Cypres equipped. The Reflex Cypres is currently getting it's 4-year so I'm not jumping that right now unless I really "have" to. Both have the brake lines pretty close to the same setting.

The absolute last thing I want to have to worry about is what canopy I'm jumping on "this" jump.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i'm in agreement with paul's theory here on this one. continuity is condusive to life longevity! ;) i would and will be changing containers for my second rig, but my reserve, and mains will be very similar, and i'll stay with boc and zp pc/kill line. although i almost made a horrible decision a while back until i was talked out of it by some intelligent folks, thanks, you know who you are.

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I have 2 Javelins and each has a Sabre 120 as a main. I like to think they are identical, but one has more than 1,000 jumps on it, the other just a couple of hundred. They fly pretty much alike and I never notice any difference until landing...the older canopy has just a bit less lift, and that can be a problem on a hard turning or fast approach. Everytime I land the old canopy I'm just slightly behind on the flare point, and the landing kinda sucks. It's never bad, but just never really up to my standards.

If you have multiple rigs it's a good idea to stick with the same parachute in both containers, but even then there will be differences.

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I have a different philosophy - I have multiple rigs for different purposes. I've got my Cobalt 75 I jump most of the time - on jumps where I won't be pulling at 2k, or the spot won't be horrible, etc. On bigger ways, or on sunset loads, or on formation loads where the spot might not be as good, I jump one of my bigger mains. They're a bit more forgiving, easier to land if my depth perception is slightly off. If I have to land off I can do it in my Cobalt, but I'd much prefer a bigger main.

I have 4 rigs - I jump them all but different ones at different times depending on the type of skydive. I really like the flexibility of having small fun canopies at times, while having canopies I can choose to go slow on when circumstances are not as perfect.

The only real thing I notice on the rigs is that 2 of my freefall rigs are hackeys, one is an orange handle. It feels weird to grab the orange handle.

W

Just found essentially the same question in gear and rigging. (shrug) me bad for not looking in there for awhile. Thanks for the answers though!

What can I say Vectorboy, great minds think alike;)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Like Wendy, I jump a lot of completely different gear, each for a different purpose. It is not uncommon at all for me to jump from a Sigma tandem main to my competition Cobalt 75, straight to a StarTrac1 for demo team practice. I also jump a 69.5 square foot Xaos as well as a Stiletto 120; the latter for when I want to jump something fun, yet legal out of GK airplanes for free.
The bottom line here is that after every opening, I do my post-opening procedures and get the "feel" back for whatever I have over my head. I make some hard turns, some braked turns, practice my flare, fly in deep brakes for a bit, then I go on down and land my canopy using whatever style is dictated for what I aim to accomplish on the bottom end.

Chuck

It is not uncommon at all for me to jump from a Sigma tandem main to my competition Cobalt 75, straight to a StarTrac1 for demo team practice. I also jump a 69.5 square foot Xaos as well as a Stiletto 120; the latter for when I want to jump something fun, yet legal out of GK airplanes for free.

Please see her disclaimer about advise for low-time jumpers in the first post. ;) I'm not really certain your experiences equate to that of most low-timers.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Please see her disclaimer about advise for low-time jumpers in the first post. ;) I'm not really certain your experiences equate to that of most low-timers.

Well between jumps 52 and 75 or so, I never jumped the same rig twice in a row. Some were BOC, some ROL, some ripcord. Some had a CYPRES, some had Astra's, a couple were with Sentinels, and some had no AAD. Most were dual-handle emergency systems, but a couple were SOS. Sometimes I had an RSL, sometimes I didn't. I really had to concentrate before getting in the plane each time, and that ended up working at least to some extent, as I never reached for the wrong place to pull a handle.

Oh, you wanted *good* advice for low-timers? :-) umm...don't do what I did. I'm pretty sure it dramatically increases the odds of a mistake.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)