trfenwyd

flat track v. regular track

The post in talk back inspired this question...How exactly does one flat track? When I track, I de-arch, arms back, legs out and go. Would this be flat track, or is there something else?

If I correctly understand the term, an ideal flat track is one that achieves a maximum horizontal distance without increased descent.

The body position to achieve this is not static; as horizontal speed increases, transitioning into as much of a lifting-body configuration as possible serves to keep on level with a formation while getting away from it most rapidly.

Blue skies,

Winsor

A flat track is one that you move away from the formation but you do not go below level with them. That you stay "Flat" with the center. I see a lot of "tracking" where people dive straight down practically and think they have gone somewhere. All they did was lose a lot of altitude.

When I track I usually see myself floating ABOVE the level of the formation. I don't have to track faster than anyone because I can track LONGER than they can. It will cover more ground.

Chris Schindler

A flat track is what you use to break off from a formation. It gives you maximum horizontal speed with minimum vertical speed. There are a lot of tricks one can use, including rolling your shoulders, dearching, pointing your toes, etc.

A regular track is just moving from point A to point B in the sky. If you are doing a formation load, and you have to get from a trail plane to the base approximately on level, that's a regular track. It may be as fast horizontally but is not necessarily slower vertically.

Well, I'll tell you what I do but we might have different body types. This may not work for you. I'm 5'11" and weigh 150 pounds. Tall lanky poll.

When break off comes I imediately start to flatten out my body to start floating. As I do this I turn 180 and pick a point on the ground to hold heading. Through the whole turn I start to straighten the legs. My arms are coming into a cross position by the time I'm reaching the 180. It gives maximum float while allowing me to start moving away. Very quickly as I start to move out the hands come to my side and even point down below me a bit. My shoulders roll forward as though I'm trying to put them on my ears. The chest gets cupped. My legs are now straight out and as the speed builds I can start to stick my butt up in a more de-arched position. My toes are pointed. Think of it as doing a "tippy toe" stance on the ground. Track for 5 seconds then throw (I mean really through) your arms forward and I almost "sit up" in the track to decelerate the forward motion fast. Reach back and pull the hacky and throw. Once released I go back to that hard de-arch, head high position to make sure I am finishing my deceleration.

It takes practice and is not perfected overnight.

Chris

When break off comes I imediately start to flatten out my body to start floating. As I do this I turn 180 and pick a point on the ground to hold heading. Through the whole turn I start to straighten the legs. My arms are coming into a cross position by the time I'm reaching the 180. It gives maximum float while allowing me to start moving away. Very quickly as I start to move out the hands come to my side and even point down below me a bit. My shoulders roll forward as though I'm trying to put them on my ears. The chest gets cupped. My legs are now straight out and as the speed builds I can start to stick my butt up in a more de-arched position. My toes are pointed. Think of it as doing a "tippy toe" stance on the ground. Track for 5 seconds then throw (I mean really through) your arms forward and I almost "sit up" in the track to decelerate the forward motion fast.

Wave off.

Reach back and pull the hacky and throw. Once released I go back to that hard de-arch, head high position to make sure I am finishing my deceleration.

Heard a very interesting discussion once when someone forgot that step.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I've always thought tracking meant what you do to get
maximum horizontal distance, so I'm not sure what people
are getting at when they speak of flat tracking, but in any
case I put a description of tracking here:

http://indra.net/~bdaniels/ftw/rwg_skr_pvpr_track.html

Skr

The post in talk back inspired this question...How exactly does one flat track? When I track, I de-arch, arms back, legs out and go. Would this be flat track, or is there something else?

A flat track is great for horizontal separation...If you are in the base of larger formation (the last skydivers to track away) you want to stay horizontal in your track for sure. Everyone has different bodies -so achieve a flat track in different ways. I prefer to look back between my legs...
Will always remember the first time I watched Roger Ponce turn to track- wow was I impressed! He was gone so fast -stayed completely horizontal. His bare toes pointed, feet together but arms out flat...(I called it the "jesus track"......) At that time I figured I was good at tracking- practise makes perfect...the more you use it, the better you get.

Smiles;)