skyeyeskydiving

THIS SUCKS...

....ONCE WE WERE A BROTHERHOOD & TRUST IN EACH OTHER WAS OUR CREED...now we are forced to sleep with one eye open and must question our faith and trust in those we call our brothers!

"Chutingstar.com" wrote:

> We had 6 complete rigs stolen from Alabama Skydiving in Pell City this week.

THE COMPLETE LIST IS POSTED BELOW THIS MESSAGE
along with the list from another break in!

Hi Mike and all,

Now I don't want anyone to think that my recent groundbound state has
induced paranoia but this incident has startling similarities to our own
break in here at Skydive Delmarva in Delaware almost a month to the day (13th Nov) prior to Pell City's break in. We lost seven rigs, about the max number one really strong guy or two not so strong guys could carry to their transport in one hit!

Very similar M/O, we also lost two staff rigs, one Vector Tandem rig,
one student size rig and three sport rigs.

As I stated in my post on our burglary, I can't see these rigs as being
salable in this country, of course with lots of mix and matching it's
possible that someone could get away with selling or using them here (at a very small or backwoods DZ) but doubtful I'd say. Overseas though, well that's a different story!

My intention is not to start a witch hunt with this post against
overseas visitors, or anyone traveling the country visiting dropzones,
after all I was one of those guys myself once and many of my greatest
friends visit and travel the USA on a regular basis. However, it's not
beyond the realm of possibilities that there could be someone from a
little visited (for skydiving) or third world country that's unlikely to
receive visitors from the states or elsewhere at their dropzone in the
near future, or perhaps ever, that is visiting the good 'ol USA to pick
up some new or near new equipment for their operation and or patrons!
After all this gear has to be going somewhere or else there's no point
stealing it, so this scenario is no less unlikely than any other I've
heard yet!

In the weeks immediately preceding our break in we never had any
overseas visitors, so I'm not casting aspersions here against anyone
(that's not to say though that I don't have a suspect whose whereabouts I'd dearly like to know). However, we as do most dropzones do have visitors from far and wide during the course of a season and just as Pell City may have been, we could have been targeted months or even years before (I know this doesn't apply to PC)! Whoever, burgled us had been here at one time or another, as they only hit the building where our rigs were kept, so they certainly knew what they were after and where those items were!

Let's be careful with our suspicions but not careless, these scumbags
whoever they are must be stopped (sometimes the nicest people are the lousiest bastards). I ask all readers of this group to be ever watchful
and if you have any ideas, thoughts or suspicions regarding these
break-ins that are occurring at DZ's across the nation, please share
them with those of us that are appealing for your help. You never know,
your home DZ may get hit next...and it's possible they may not be able
to weather the hit and remain in business...then how are you going to
feel!

Blue Ones,
Stay Safe...and ever watchful,

Martin Evans.

General Manager Skydive Delmarva Inc.
Owner/Operator Sky-Eye Skydiving Services.
[email protected]

For further information about Sky-Eye Skydiving Services & Skydive
Delmarva  please visit our websites:

http://www.skyeyeskydiving.com/

http://www.skydivedelmarva.com/

"Never confuse motion with action".   Ernest Hemingway.

STOLEN FROM PELL CITY

> Two Strong tandem rigs, one Javelin rental rig, one Mirage rental rig and
> two staff rigs (Javelin and Infinity).
>
> There is a reward for information leading to the recovery of any or all
> equipment. 1800505JUMP.
>
> The complete list is below. Thanks for your help. This sucks...
>
> Mike Gruwell
> Chuting Star Rigging Loft
>
> Skydiving gear stolen from Alabama Skydiving in Pell City on Dec. 12, 2002.
> Anyone with information contact Atlanta Skydiving Center at 1-800-505-JUMP.
> Reward for information leading to recovery of gear listed below.
>
> Strong Tandem, Black with Brown Hawk, #908024 Aug 99, Master Reserve #1269
> Sep 99, Cypres #70C0286361CE221T Aug 99, SET 400 Main Canopy
>
> Strong Tandem, Solid Blue, #412386 Dec 94, Master Reserve #513 Sep 91,
> Cypres #30D1B35F5BC7221T Mar 95, HOP 330 Red/Yellow main
>
> Sun Path Javelin J-2, Light and Dark Blue, #2142 Oct 91, PD 160 Reserve
> #160R-2605 Apr 92, Cypres #40B1636059C42250 Mar 00, Hornet 190 Rainbow
>
> Mirage G3 M5, Grey/Black, #04080 Jul 02, Tempo 210 Reserve #229348 Jul 02,
> Cypres #106129665CC72240 Sep 02, Omega 209 Orange/Red
>
> Sun Path Javelin J-1, Pink/Black, #1140 Jul 90, Glide Path Cricket Reserve
> #CR238R Aug 90, Safire 119 White Main Canopy
>
> Velocity Sports Infinity I-21, Blue/Black, #6317 Dec 00, Precision
> MicroRaven 135 #29423883 Aug 94, Crossfire 98 Blue Main Canopy #9661292

STOLEN FROM SKYDIVE DELMARVA

Vector Tandem

VTC-II #3603142 Reserve
TV-13 #33754 Container/Harness - Black
EZ-384 #VS-384-000385 Main - Black, White & Purple
Airtec Cypres Tandem 1-pin #4020C4605DC872
Date of MFR 04-1996

Javelin TJN

Staff Javelin Container/Harness #19179 – Purple, Electric Blue, Black binding
Stainless Steel, White embroidery – Skydive Delmarva, Staff, Kathy
Airtec Cypres #50D117645EC92260
PD 126 Reserve #21529
Sabre 135 – Rainbow

Javelin Odyssey TJN

Javelin Container/Harness #21312 C19
PD Factory Team Container with Sunpath & PD Logos, Stainless Steel –
Navy Blue, Gold Pop Top, Gold B & D, Gold Embroidery
Vengeance 135 Main #000770 – Navy Blue with 2 White Racing Stripes
Micro Raven 135 Reserve– #53936966 Green

Javelin TJN

Staff Javelin Container/Harness – Purple, Electric Blue, Black binding
Stainless Steel, White embroidery – Skydive Delmarva, Staff, Bill
Airtec Cypres
Heatwave 135 Main – Pink, Teal

Javelin Odyssey J3

Sunpath Demo, Container/Harness #19953 C19 articulated
Stainless Steel – Teal, Gold Embroidery, Lavendar Harness
Airtec Cypres #502162655CC8210
PD 126 Reserve #014551
Sabre 2 170 Main #000857 – Blackberry, Lemon, Teal
DOM 2000

Javelin TJN

Javelin Container/Harness #10934 CAD Hip & Chest Rings – Teal, Charcoal, Black
With Charcoal Harness
PD 126 Reserve #10029
Jedei 136 Prototype Main – Teal and Charcoal

Javelin J3

Javelin Container/Harness – Black, Electric Blue pin stripes
Airtec Cypres #110179665BC822 DOM 08/02
PD 160 Reserve - Green

I dunno, but wouldn't one really good way to determine where some of the equipment turns up would be by tracking the Cypres serial numbers? They will need checks, right? Batteries exchanged?

Prolly already been done, but maybe if someone sent the guys the Cypres place an e-mail alerting them, then they could be watching for them.

Just a thought.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I think this post isn't quite exhaustive in analyzing all the possibilities. It's trying to put the blame on travellers to the US and specifically on those from less travelled to countries. Even though I won't rule out the theory completely I'll say this much, it's quite possible that there may be locals from the US, as in those you jump with on an everday basis or quite frequently or even those who just come visiting or know of the DZ and live in the area, that may be involved. They may be selling these rigs overseas to smaller operations or even individuals without their knowledge of it being stolen. For all you know they may even just be selling the rigs as scrap or something. The point being, there are numerous possibilites and it's not healthy for the sport or the comradery it generates by coming up with a single unsubstantiated theory and using it as a basis to make sweeping judgements on people in the skydiving community by region or as a whole.

:( I dito that. I think that the "brother and sister hood" extends far beyond the borders of the US. To make assumptions is mother of all ^%$^ - ups. I live in the Middle East. Only one DZ in UAE but we will keep an eye open for the gear.

Cheers
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

I'm sure those serial numbers are being watched for, but cypreses don't legally need to be serviced according to the manual in every country. It's a US law (and probably a law in most other countries that have skydiving too), but it may not be enforced elsewhere.

Dave

In reply to Phreezone:

Martin have you put your gear in the database here yet? http://www.dropzone.com/stolen/

That's a good question.

I was asked the same thing by a jumper at our DZ, this is what I told him.

As a firm believer in the phrase "God helps those that help themselves"
I thought it was a fair answer.

Here's the deal. I posted at a bunch of sites and sent out emails to many friends, aquaintances & DZ's around the World. I also found a number of sites that information regarding stolen equipment could be posted on. In order to post the details on many of these sites it required a serious amount of typing. So, I collated all the information of where to post and forwarded it to all the people that lost gear, suggesting that as "many hands make light work" they should individually post their details. Despite all the time work and effort that I invested (and am still investing) in my present uncomfortable state to help recover their equipment, to my knowledge not a one of them has made any effort to do so! The DZ itself didn't lose anything in the break in, all equipment was individually owned, including the tandem rig. I'm sorry we had a break in and people lost equipment, apparently I'm more concerned about it than those who were hit, seeing as they don't want to make the minimal effort now required of them (as I've already done the leg work for them) to post the information! The only reason I'm posting again on the newsgroups is because I want the scumbags caught!

Their is no free lunch!

Bo
SS

Martin

I think this post isn't quite exhaustive in analyzing all the possibilities. It's trying to put the blame on travellers to the US and specifically on those from less travelled to countries

it's not healthy for the sport or the comradery it generates by coming up with a single unsubstantiated theory and using it as a basis to make sweeping judgements on people in the skydiving community by region or as a whole.

.......................................................................................................

It's just a thought/possability to consider and it sure beats sitting in a corner weeping. You may have missed the reference that I am originally from overseas myself so it's not about an American bashing foreign visitors.

You are of course right that any of numerous possabilities exist as to who could be responsable for the thefts, as I said this is just one idea that I hope people consider. I'd love for others to post their own theories for us to consider, any line or idea that comes up that I haven't already followed up on I'll pursue with just as much zeal!

As for damaging the skydiving community and camaradarie of the sport, do you think that glancing around the people on the dropzone and wondering which one of them may have ripped us off is any less damaging than my post. At our DZ and others that have had similar situations of theft the community is already damaged...because as you say it could be one of our buddies that did the theft!

BO
SS

Martin
Blue ones,
Stay Safe.

Martin Evans.

For further information about Sky-Eye Skydiving Services & Skydive Delmarva please visit our websites:

http://www.skyeyeskydiving.com/

http://www.sk

The people who damage the health of the sport and the cameraderie of skydivers are the bastards who stole the equipment.

It only makes sense to assign some kind of priority in where to look for the criminals. Just like there's not a lot of effort looking for Al Quaeda in Iceland compared to Yemen.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Re: stolen Cypri.No self-respecting rigger will repack a Cypres that is overdue for a factory inspection.
And the Cypres factory does keep an eye out for stolen Cypri. For example, a few years back, a stack of Cypri were stolen from the Golden Knights. When those Cypris arrived at the factory for 4-year checks, SSK seized them and returned them to the "Knights.

I will bet that half of stolen parachutes land in dumpsters. Few thieves are bright enough to fence stolen parachutes.
For example, last May, someone broke into our main hangar and stole 7 sport rigs. They ignored the expensive tandems and sport rigs in lockers. Three of the stolen rigs had round reserves and were so old you could not give them away!
Ten days later he thieves tried selling the rigs to a retired skydiver. Since the retired skydiver was a prospect for a group of motorcycle enthusiasts who prefer to remain nameless -and that group does not want to be bothered with petty crime - he convinced the thieves to give him the rigs, which he quietly returned to the DZ.
A couple of months later, a drunken idiot approached one of our senior licensed jumpers on the street offering to sell him the last stolen rig. The licensed jumper phoned the police, who replied, "Oh, do you mean the guys we just cited for public drunkeness?"
So, half the parachute thieves are not bright enough to fence stolen parachutes and those parachutes land in dumpsters.

Read riggerrob's post above. There are probably enough people in your own back yard who are indulging in this. I agree your intentions are not to malign the foreign skydivers who come visiting but the connotations to your post point in that direction, specially towards those who belong to smaller or the 3rd world countries. If theft is a problem, a good place to start is by keeping an eye on everyone that visits a DZ, and by that I mean everyone. People from smaller or third world countries are equally passionate about the sport to be singled out this way, and more so because they have to deal with greater challenges in terms of logistics involved in getting a skydiving operation going. Most of them, inspite of all odds, are there in the sport because they are driven by an equally strong passion for the sport. They probably have more respect for it than a whole lot others at larger dropzones who are served the sport on a silver platter. It's where the skydiving populations are larger and the activity more pronounced that you'll find some thieves amongst the community because they are too use to everything comming to them easy, including a well established skydiving lifestyle. I'm not defending the fact that there aren't any thieves overseas. What I'm saying is, if you go looking you'll find plenty locally too, so it's not just to make a statement trying to single out a particular group. For thieves outside the skydiving community, well they don't have to come from overseas. They are there in your neighbourhood. Just go find them.

keep an eye on ebay. ive often wondered about some of the rigs for sale on there. seems the simplest way to make a quick buck off a stolen rig with the least chance of getting caught in it, since youre likely to anonymously sell it to a guy hundreds if not thousands of miles away. theyre obviously not going to sell them in the direct location they stole them from, theyd be recognized too easily.

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!