melodee

Ok soooooo

it's true that it doesn't feel like falling, but more like floating. but I've never done a tandem, so I don't know if that feels the same. but have fun anyways!:)

"I'll tear up this ticket, but I'm still gonna have to ask you for a bribe." Chief Clancy Wiggum

LOL....
if you're thinking of the "Roller coaster" feeling, no at least for me it's more like a huge fan blowing air up at you (you will see it's hard to describe what it really feels like)...
and yea, you will know when the main chute opens....
It will be cool...;)

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Oh, I was just there last weekend! It's a beautiful dropzone, make sure you get a video and pictures. You won't feel the sensation of falling unless you jump out of the helicopter. I did that last weekend, and it made me scream like a little girl! But, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You can't really describe it as floating.....but there isn't the sensation of falling. You are going so fast and there is so much wind resistance that it is noisy. The breathing is easier through your nose and smile, smile, smile. (It tightens the face muscles so your cheeks don't look too funny on the video. You aren't aware of the speed too much either. Don't get too nervous, everyone on the ride up will try to get you relaxed and having fun! You will know when the chute opens and it will feel like you go back up, but it is a thrill!:)
The rush is life changing!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

You will watch your video so many times you will think you might wear it out!

Good point, make a copy of the video and play the copy for friends/family so you don't wear out the original

You can take your video and have it put onto a CD, but if you do, take a copy of the video in, not the original. The copy I had put on CD also plays in my DVD player, and CD's last longer than videos tapes.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

When people ask me what it feels like to freefall, I try to put it in a way they can relate.

Think of a nice day, you're driving along with the window down. You put your arm out and feel the wind tickle your skin. As you pick up speed the pressure of the wind on your arm wants to push it back and you have to fight to keep it out straight.

When you are skydiving your body (not just your arm) is feeling the strong, comforting pressure of the wind. You don't feel like you are falling, you feel supported.

When asked "weren't you scared when you started?"

Yes, of course. But remember back to learning to drive. Think about your first time merging on the freeway - your mind was almost overwhelmed with all the things you had to remember to drive safely. Now you don't give it a second thought. As you learn and practice, you get more familiar and comfortable. Once you learn to relax you open yourself to fully enjoying the experience.

If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. You know that's not true. Soooo... get out there - and FLY!

...deb

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

When people ask ME what it's like to freefall, I usually think back to the last few jumps I made, get a big dumb smile on my face and forget all about the question;).
Whoever said that you can't explain it to those who don't, but those who do understand you without words was probably right.
Also, when you're in the plane and riding to altitude, try thinking positive thoughts and looking at more experienced jumpers- especially if there are any like me, who grin all the way up:ph34r:. Being scared on your first couple of (hundred/thousand) jumps is probably completely normal, it's only when you're looking forward to the jump (on the ground, that is) with no joy or excitement, only dread, that you should reconsider it.

I hope you'll have a lot of fun!!

The lack of the falling sensation is hard to explain. On a roller coaster, you feel the butterflies because you are accelerating downward, but once you reach Terminal Velocity (~120 mph) you are no longer accelerating.

When you are stopped in your car and the light turns green, you start to accelerate. Your body feels pressed to the seat because you are going faster and faster, but then you reach the speed limit and start going a constant speed. Now you don't feel pressed to the seat at all. That is the same thing as terminal velocity. The wind is holding you up so you are no longer accelerating.

You can read a million informative posts, but unfortunatly you can never truely understand the feeling until you've jumped. Your going to have a blast if you go, why else do you think there are so many skydivers here? We are only a tiny population of skydivers who like to share our stories with people all over the world. If it wasn't fun, we wouldn't be here ;)