Slight

Jumping jumbo jets

[reply>and even fewer who could tell you what the symptoms of hypoxia are and what
> their personal symptoms are.

Oh, I know at least 40 who experienced it firsthand in a real skydiving environment, rather than in a simulated skydive in a chamber.

So is this to imply that having these symptoms (without even knowing it) is safer than in a controlled environment? Come on, I take you for an intelligent man, don't disappoint me.

While chamber rides are great, and tell you a lot about your own reactions to hypoxia, it's not quite the same as being hypoxic on a skydive. Your oxygen demands are a lot greater during heavy exertion (like, say, being front float.)

Last time I checked having no air was having no air be it in a chamber, on a skydive or with a plastic bag over your head. Exertion amplifies everything, again, another reason for the importance of knowing what your getting yourself into.

>It's the other people who have no clue that worry me because they are the ones
> that will probablly be sitting in the plane next to me or even flying it.

Fortunately, each skydiver can choose who they jump with, and under which conditions.

That's not always the case. We've all seen people who have followed the crowd just to be on a load. Lets not forget about Skymonkeyones father who was taken higher and had problems. You think he got on the plane thinking he would be taken up until he passed out? I don't think so.

If someone feels more comfortable jumping with people who have been in a chamber, or prefer to remain below 12K without prebreathing oxygen, they can do that.

It's not about jumping with people who have been in a chamber. It's about educating the unknowing and unsuspecting in the skydiving community who assume it's OK because it's regularly done. We've all seen people who continue to use toggles to hook turn and haven't biffed in but we all know it's not safe and try to discourage it. Going above 12 k for a perlonged flight with out O2 is not advisable and is dangerous. Education is the key and maybe if enough people show concern the DZs will ensure the O2 is on from the ground up to altitude for scheduled high altitude flights. Don't be fooled into thinkings it's OK, altitude can kill, just ask any experienced mountain climber and they will tell you the same thing, don't fool around with it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING