heftee

Cut away cables

I don't ever get much response in the rigging section, so I'm posting this here to see what you all have to say:
I recently had shorter risers put on my rig. When doing my gear inspection prior to gearing up and jumping, I noticed that the yellow cable to the cutaway system was looped outside my harness. It was too long with the new risers. So, with the end stuck in the little pocket along the risers, the excess just sort of bunched up and created a loop sticking out instead of being nice and flush.
I got this fixed prior to jumping. (cut 2.5 inches off)
My question - if I hadn't gotten it fixed and had to cut away, would this have caused a problem?
My concern was that it might have become a kink or something and hindered my cut away.
Please let me know as I am glad I caught this and very concerned that it was left like this, but I'm wondered what the worst case senerio is with this situation. Your input is appreciated.
Thanks

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

you did the right thing and cut the excess off. further than that what could of happened is anybody's guess. i'm sure you're aware what "could" have happened. you took the right action to keep from finding out what may have happened! ;)

Take Care, Be Safe, Have Fun.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

>if I hadn't gotten it fixed and had to cut away, would this have caused a problem?

Probally not, but from how you described it it sounded like it was a snag hazard and could have been pulled resulting in a premature release if it di dget snagged.

Did your rigger cut it off or did you?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had a rigger cut it and burn the ends to smooth it out again.

"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."

Shorter risers would still usually have the same length "pocket" for the end of the release cables. But if from a different manufacturer they may have been different. Probably appropriate to trim... but if you fixed them....
Did you cut them with the appropriate cutter so as not to crush the cable? Regular diagonal cutters aren't appropriate. Also did you melt the plastic to cover the sharp end of the cable? There are various ways to do this and is more of an issue going in than coming out but should be done. Also, did you properly stagger the length so that the RSL side is last to go? If you have an RSL the length of cable beyond the three ring loop should be longer on the RSL side by an inch or so, so the RSL riser goes last. (Although Sunpath's instructions vary somewhat from this. See their web site. http://www.sunpath.com/

Unclear from your post if you did it or had it done.

I was busy writting while you answered the previous post.:$
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

No problem - thanks for all the information. I did have a rigger do it, and he did use the proper cutters and melt the ends and he did stagger the lengths as well. He took good care of me.
By the way - I had someone else do this - NOT the person who hooked up my new risers and just left the cables as they were and was going to let me jump it like that.

NO way Anton- hoping never to do it again!
Just wanted to make sure that if I do, it works properly.
:ph34r: