Rookeskydiver

Fitness and Skydiving project

WOOOOOO, Flexibility is a biggie.

As an unlicensed rookie, the only DZ's at which I've trained - fly only Cessna 182s & 185s. Just wadding yourself up (6'-2", 210), and jamming into those cool, little ships for the crowded ride to altitude can be a hassle.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Good Luck to you. I smoke and probably drink too much. When I started skydiving I weighed 25 pounds less then I do now. Through PT for my injury I joined a GYM and now have a personal trainer. Well, the first day I couldn't laugh, cough or pick up my kids, the second session no walking without pain. Cardiovascular 10 minutes on the bkike was like eternity.

Yet I can jump oout a a airplane at 13, 500 and land. Who knew?
"Cloudy Skies look different through skydivers eyes. Is that a hole in the clouds I see?" Let's get driving!

Blue Skies and Sweet Dreams

This is just me, but when I started skydsiving I weighed about 200 pounds, as I got more and more into the sport, and I got into RW, I found it really hard to stay with people, I would always go low and my landing sucked.

Now fast forward 6 months, I now weigh 170, I am no longer the fat ass going low, and my landings are as soft as a prom queens ass. I had to make some adjustments, because of the less weight I couldnt't really chase people around the shy, and I noticed my body flew a little different, but all it took was a few jumps to work everything out.

Once I hit 165-168 I am going to reward myself by buying myself a Tony Suit Pit special!!!!

Chris
I thought of the odds of me succeeding, versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead anyway.

Now that's a damn good quote. I think I'm gonna use that some time. For me, I feel skydiving is about 65% mental, 30% balance & body awareness, and 5% strength & endurance.

I just started doing yoga again, and I think it's very similar to skydiving in some ways. You have a lot of control in each activity over how much of a workout you actually get - in yoga, you're trying to get MORE of a workout by doing things exactly right, whereas in packing, for example, you're trying to get less of a workout by using gravity and leverage to your advantage, so the requirement for actual strength is reduced. Both require awareness of your body and a certain kind of "flow." I'm also in pretty good shape most of the time, so I may be less likely than some other people to perceive things as strenuous.

I've found that concentration/focus & breathing are pretty key in both activities too - though these come back to balance. So in terms of physical activity, I think of skydiving as kind of like yoga. Except I don't get drunk after yoga class.

Joe

and 5% strength & endurance

Stength....maybe. Although having strength in your turns both legs and arms are very important. Endurance I think is a LOT more important, closer to 25% atleast. After 10 jumps and its 4:00 and you have another 4-6 to go, endurance both mental and physical become a HUGE factor. The more you can get stronger and have more endurance the better you can last during the day from the stress of skydiving.
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Good point. Of course, the most jumps I've ever done in a day is 4 or 5, so it could be that I'm just a lazy-ass and that's why I don't need as much endurance. ;)

In all honesty I think the % split is going to be different for every single person, based on their personal barriers/abilities and the type of skydiving they do. It is kind of a broad question.

Joe