Fireflyer

1st AFF jump

Well I did it! :)
I jumped Level 1 yesterday after 6 hours of ground school, and it was incredible (even if my memory is a bit shotty!;))

My instructor Sue at SkydivePA was awesome. :)), and I can appreciate the qualities of a great teacher. Start to finish, she made it happen.

I was apprehensive on the exit and flying in, [:/]but I was told later my exit was "stellar" ;)and it felt perfectly stable very quicky. Our rehersals over and over (and OVER) on ground in practice gear was key.

I felt aware, and easily arched and found my hackey, but was a little late on deployment. I think I had a mal too (?) as the lines were initially twisted for 180 degrees:o, but by the time i got my hands up to spread the risers, and kicked a sec, it worked out. I remember being calm and remembered my training well. I think I said "It figures!!", too (my usual luck!). I am pretty light too (145# on a 230sq'(?)), I think, so maybe that was normal.

After checks, I looked around and was lost as hell, but laughed about it. Where WAS everyone? Where's the airport? Oh, there everyone is, WAY down there! I basically wanted to get it right and didn't mess around so I was turning a bit trying to get into the pattern and place I was assigned to be in by 1000'.

The winds were rough near the bottom from what I was told, and I was blown down the field about 300' farther than I should have landed, but all was well. I WAS coming down tho on the runway for a while and was like "oh crap", but ended up hitting the ONLY brush/stream/puddle patch around after a good flare in the huge clear field. Figures.;)

There were like 2 people (licensed) that smacked the ground that day so it seemed turbulent (I was rocking), but I immediately gathered everything and my wet bush dragging shoes, and was like "I'm going again!!"

Looking back, I braked a bit too much, and followed the wind in too far, but I'll fix that Sunday on L2. I felt bad another guy in my class didnt pass I think-he never jumped before; I think it must be hard to exit, be aware, and do everything if you havent jumped prior. I had the HUGE benefit of going tandem once, so I feel I had a big advantage here. That, and I read the AFF manual prior too class...ok, so I'm a suck up;)

Anyway, I am proud to be slipping further into delerium over jumping:S, and am hooked on completeing my training!!

Congrats on your successful jump. Some instructors refer to line twists as abnormalities as opposed to severe line twists which is definitely a malfunction. No matter. You dealt with it and have a little more experieince than you did before you jumped. Keep it up. It sounds like you have an excellent instructor. Harry

Get used to that delirium, friend, because if what happened to me happens to you, the rest of your life will kinda fade to insignificance, you'll put skydiving stickers and stuff all over everything, drive all your friends coworkers and family nuts talking about it, giggle every time you look up, spend all your money on training, jumps, gear and stuff, and vanish off the face of the earth as far as whuffo society goes, lost forever in a world of blue sky fresh air puffy clouds happy grinning laughing people and brightly colored nylon aircraft. Not a bad fate, eh? Who the hell wants to wake up from THIS dream?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Congrats! Is that in Grove City? I jumped there 4 years ago and can recall that part of the landing area had an upward slope to it with trees on part of 2 sides. There was a fence that separated the airport from the DZ. Is it still that way?
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Grove City is nice, and seemed very friendly. I don't know if Pittsburgh Skydiving Center in Connellsville in Fayette County is still there, but that's good.

Otherwise, I'm a child of turbine DZs, except in the winter if I'm north and the big planes are south. Visit around. The best thing about this is the people.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

You lucky!!
I had planned AFF also for the past weekend but guess what..
Stupid weathergods.. friday beautifull weather but theoretical instruction.
Saturday horrible rains.. Sunday blue skies with here and there some white clouds but waaaaaaaaaaay to strong winds.
So I'll have to wait another few weeks [:/]

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."