skyboyblue

odd students?

Well, what if you'd had a good reason to cutaway -- do you still have to pay for it all?

Well, all I can say is that I had a cutaway on my 3rd AFF jump because of a spinning mal (good reason, not controllable), and I didn't pay for anything: pack job, lost freebag, nothing. I thought I'd have to pay for what wasn't found, but as it was explained to me, if students had to pay for what wasn't found, it might make them think twice about cutting away a mal, which you don't want to encourage in a student. Of course, it didn't make any difference to me, I wasn't really thinking about how much this would cost me, I was thinking about what it would cost me if I didn't! But I guess they want to cover all of their bases. Oh yeah, it did, of course, cost me a case of beer and a bottle of Captain Morgan. ;)

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

I did something really stupid yesterday. It was my CTP #1. I cut away for no apparent reason...then I landed on the runway. Yep the jump cost me over $400!!

Are you sure that you cutaway for no reason or did an instructor or someone make you confused about your cutaway? What did you think that your malfunction was when you decided to cutaway? You may have done the right thing, but others may have been doubting your actions as a student. People always second-guess their cutaways.

I almost quit jumping when I had my 2nd cutaway by my 16th jump. My first cutaway, I knew was necessary, but I second-guessed my 2nd one as others made me feel that this was a bad move. However, I now know that I did the right thing in cutting away. You decision altitude is your decision altitude. Period. End of story. Don't feel bad for cutting away.
You rock, Snowboundlava, for walking away from another skydive. Live to jump another day, girlfriend! :)

One more q, about the freebags for the reserve: Are they really worth like $400-500? And if yes, why?

For my Vector III: Freebag $105, reserve pilot chute $120, reserve handle $40, cutaway handle $30, reserve repack $48 (from the Para Gear 2001-2002 catalog). Total: $343. $273 without the handles. Repair costs on damaged gear could easily run the total up to $500.

As far as the damage to the container-that was from my wonderful runway landing (leg strap)

I don't think I would have had to pay had there been a malfunction. Since it was MY mistake I take complete responsiblity for paying for it. Had it been my own rig, I'd be paying for the same stuff. That's kind of like hitting someone in your rental car, and your insurance paying for it. Except there is no "unecessary cutaway insurance". I think I'd get some if there was though. :D

Students cutting away from a perfectly good canopy is a bit more common than one might think. For instance, this past summer there was a girl doing a Level 1 AFF. She flailed a bit at pulltime (pretty much kept waiving off until the instructors had enough of it) so they pulled her out. So as she is going through the deployment...she finally reaches back to find her handle (which is gone)...so she does what she was trained to do. If you cant find your main handle go for the reserve, which at the time was a SOS...so while she is under a perfectly good canopy...chop! I have seen it 4 times in the past 2 years...that I can think of. None of my students of course.;)

Students cutting away from a perfectly good canopy is a bit more common than one might think.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I remember watching a girl cutaway a perfectly good Manta over California City because she "could not get her slider to go back up." Fortunately she cutaway just high enough for her reserve to inflate.
Unfortunately the last student that tried that in B.C. was too low.

As for landing on the runway ....
What is it with students and runways?
The problem is obstacle fixation.
If you are afraid of landing on something, you will land on it.
On the other hand, if you fixate on the grass beside the runway, you will land on the grass.
Think about it.

Students cutting away from a perfectly good canopy is a bit more common than one might think.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This reminds me of a couple of students I dropped a decade ago in Northern Alberta. The first IAD student had a legitimate main malfunction (line over) and responded correctly.
His buddy exited second and pulled the cutaway handle before line stretch.
Hee! Hee!

One of out Bristol lot is nicknamed 'Slider man' for the reasons described above. Having failed make it 'go up' by pumping the toggles, he chopped. He was shit scared and had the 'this can't have happened to the same guy twice' thought when he saw his reserve slider just above him!!!

When rolling on the floor laughing upon hearing his story, the more serious situation of it happening at a few hundered feet didn't occur to me. Things can go from funny to serious without much changing...:|

Regards,
Mike
-just done a jump on my new Sabre2 - schwweetttttt!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Don't hang your head in shame. That doesn't serve any purpose. Instead learn and grow from the experience. We all do stupid things. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes by analyzing what caused you to make them.

How do you know there was nothing wrong with your main canopy? Surely you must have seen something that "didn't look right." Also, how the hell did the jump end up costing you $400? If the student jump costs, say, about $150-$200, a reserve repack couldn't possibly cost $200? Actually, they shouldn't even charge you for the repack ... it was a student jumper mistake ... something that should already be factored into the cost of student jumps.

As for the runway landing ... yeah, that's not kewl, but you're not the first student to do that, and won't be the last. Okay, apologize ... buy a case, and maybe a case of bottled water for the pilots, and then forget about it. Go into your next jump determined to do better than the last. That's the only attitude to have if you want to become half-way competent in this sport.

At least that's my experience anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am really hanging my head in shame. Not so much because of the cutaway, but because I landed on the friggin' runway. (BEER!) GRRR!! I am so stupid.

First: Congratulations on surviving. If your emergency procedures are on a bit of a hair trigger, well what the hell? I'd rather hear about an unnecessary cutaway from YOU than hear of a student injury of fatality from someone else. And don't be too embarassed about it. We've all heard student stories that send shivers up our spines.

Second: If you're SURE that it was unnecessary, and entirely your fault, then I salute you for standing up and taking (financial) responsibility. Far too few people in this day take any responsibility for any of their actions. It's good to see someone who does. Having said that, though, I really don't care for a DZ policy that holds students accountable for lost/damaged equipment. That's a legitimate cost of doing business.

Blue Skies!

Luke

-- "Don't knock on Deaths door. Ring the bell and run hide. He hates that!" --

Don't just eat a hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
-Ivan Stang

Second: If you're SURE that it was unnecessary, and entirely your fault, then I salute you for standing up and taking (financial) responsibility. Far too few people in this day take any responsibility for any of their actions. It's good to see someone who does. Having said that, though, I really don't care for a DZ policy that holds students accountable for lost/damaged equipment. That's a legitimate cost of doing business.

That's the way I am looking at it. I am still not wure what happened though, was she asked to pay for it, or did she offer to pay for it. Big difference in my opinion.

Perhaps you were asking about the two "odd" young men we jumped with on Friday afternoon. They thought they could sneak a beer or two while their friends were doing tandem jumps.
Andrew's student got the dry heaves and almost up chucked.
My student succeeded, so I spent Friday evening washing my jumpsuit while everyone else was partying.

I remember watching a girl cutaway a perfectly good Manta over California City because she "could not get her slider to go back up."

That happened at my DZ too, it's funny to see this has happened more than once!

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy