AviationTD

Danger of butt landing?

nigel99

People forget that when a tandem does a butt slide, the instructor is actually highly experienced. Newbie's trying base ball slides and butt slides simply don't have the experience to do it safely.

And TM's are doing a SLIDE on their butts, not a LANDING. The difference is in the rate of descent and the impact. A good tandem slide has very little impact. ;)

DSE

***Why folks would use a butt landing instead of a baseball type slide on SIDE is beyond me.

Regarding how to approach folks..... Ask them questions rather than telling them what to do. That works WAY better.

I suspect a lot of people don't know the difference, or aren't articulating it well.
Baseball slides are fine in many situations.

As an old guy with 1/2 a hardware store in his lower back...I cringe too when I see someone 'butt slide' in.

Even when performed correctly you can get a bump on the 'runway' and really get a case of 'hamburger buns' that sting for quite a while.

As a somewhat experienced jumper with back problems...when the need arises to slide one in, I always tuck one foot under my ass as padding & put the other out in front with some tension at a 45 degree angle as kind of a shock absorber.

Been doing that for years on all kinds of surfaces and though it tears up the outside of the shoe under my butt...shoes are pretty cheap relatively speaking. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~